Friday, 23 June 2017

Five on Friday at the Farm

Hello

Thanks for popping in, especially as it's Five on Friday link up time over on Tricky's FAST blog.

Our local pick-your-own fruit and vegetable farm has already been open for a month or so now, ready for the picking season.  I love visiting the farm with all it's space, birds and wildflowers, oh and the produce too!  If you visit regularly you can see the tiniest plant turn into a gigantic cauliflower or a shrivelled up splurge turn into a luscious juicy raspberry.  Each week new things are ready for picking. Let's see what we can find early in the season.

One - Strawberries

Well, of course!  You just can't resist those shiny, red fruits and always pick more than you should.





Two - Fields and Sky

Great coverings of clouds bellowed over the crops planted in stripes  on this visit.






Three - Broad Beans

Lots of broad bean pods stretched out like fingers. Yum! I love eating the beans inside raw, so tasty in a salad.



Four - Currants, Raspberries and all the rest

Dripping like jewels, the currants and the raspberries, have just come on-line - they are perfect for a fruit tart.






Five - Wildflowers

Something for the bees all around the edges.  Such a variety.


What a glorious time of year!  Have a wonderful weekend.

Cheerio

17 comments:

  1. Looks like the perfect place to visit, something sadly lacking on this island! Have a good weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to start one up, there's bound to be a few potatoes about. Have fun x

      Delete
  2. I do miss my home county when it comes to the pick-your-own farms. Although there are the farmers' markets around here it's mostly sheep and dairy cattle country. Lots of lovely produce there - a good way to spend a few hours and enjoy what you've picked. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so refreshing and calming to look round the farm and see what's what. Thanks you too!

      Delete
  3. Glorious! It looks fab. Did you know if you steam broad beans for a couple of mins then pop the bean out of its skin the pieces inside are really succulent x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very tasty, if I can hold off eating them raw, I'll try it!

      Delete
  4. We have a local pick your own but we never make it there. Yours looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to go. I wonder what they grow there. 😊

      Delete
  5. A perfect place to spend a summer day and pick up yummy things.
    I've never eat beans raw, without cooking they are poison, have always thought.
    Enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've eaten quite a few raw peas and beans and feel fine, so I hope they aren't poisonous! It's a beautiful farm. Have fun.

      Delete
  6. I think of fruit at PYO farms but not really vegetables, I don't know why not, a great idea now that I no longer have the allotment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here and there you can find pyo tulip farms, how fab is that!

      Delete
  7. I could just walk along those rows of fruit and pick enough to make a summer pudding. I like broad beans, when I was a child I used to sit on the backdoorstep with my mum shelling peas or broad beans from the garden into colander ready for Sunday lunch:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum summer pudding, I haven't had one of those for ages. I used to shell the peas too, I used to eat some too. 😊

      Delete
  8. Oh we used to love going to the pick your own farm near our house in the UK! great way to spend an afternoon and come away with the best produce :) Thanks for joining in with Five on Friday this week, hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tricky, always a pleasure. 😊

      Delete
  9. Wow! What a beautiful farm. I used to go to a pick your own strawberry and blueberry farm. Haven't been to either in years. I think it will be on my list this year to get some blueberries. Produce is the best when picked right off the plant. I did make my husband a black raspberry pie from the berries he picked that grow wild on our property.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete