Thursday, 15 June 2017

Chawton House Library

Hello

Thanks for visiting.

Having visited Jane Austen's house in the last two posts, today we're walking through the village to the Great House mentioned in some of Jane's letters to her sister Cassandra.  This is where their brother Edward lived and where they often visited.

Nowadays it is Chawton House Library which has been restored and is home to a collection of over 10,000 books by women writers from 1600-1830, many famous in their day but forgotten now.  Students from all over the world use the resources and are permitted to leave their bookmarks in the books for future visits.  I found it heart warming that there were so many bookmarks showing just how much these books are valued.

As well as being able to look round the house, which had an exhibition on Eliza Haywood - Naming, Shaming, Reclaiming: The 'incomparable' Eliza Haywood - there's a glorious garden, church and café to enjoy. 

























Cheerio



















10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place and how lovely being able to leave bookmarks in books, I think that's quite interesting in itself seeing which books are most popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely place, I think the visitor knows it's going to be good as soon as they step onto the long driveway.

      Delete
  2. Looks a fascinating place, I knew it had a women's library in there but didn't know about the gardens, church and cafe:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only open to the public in the afternoon but the café was delightful especially the outside area surrounded by the old buildings and their chimneys.

      Delete
  3. If I would win the lottery I would purchase a place like this! I'd love to have something so serene! THank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's a grand building with lots of different levels and corridors, quite dark with all the panelling and such beautiful grounds.

      Delete
  4. The bookmarks were a real joy what a wonderful addition to the library, saving hours of time trying to retrace steps. A lovely place to visit I enjoyed your tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were absolutely loads of bookmarks, just pieces of white paper really.

      Delete
  5. I have really enjoyed these Chawton posts. I visited about eight years ago, after twenty-two years of the Best Beloved driving me past the signs on our way to his family in Hampshire, but only visited the house as nobody else in the family was interested in the church or the big house. Sigh. Thanks for filling in the gaps for me, Karen. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my pleasure 😊 Lovely round there isn't it, can't think why I haven't been before.

      Delete