Friday, 5 May 2017

Five on Friday - Flying High

Hello

How are you?

Welcome to the blog and Five on Friday, the link up organised by Tricky and Carly on their FAST blog.

First of all, I wanted to thank you for all your recent messages, rest assured I have read them all but haven't replied as I have been away for the last month, so my apologies for less comments on your blogs and fewer replies from me over that time.

We've had an exciting time in Perth, Western Australia and I'm now armed with lots of photos to share with you once I get organised.

Do you like flying? In a plane.

I've not done a lot myself and yet it has become second nature to most people. The trouble is the leap between watching those tiny silver planes in the sky with the bus/train-like place you sit in.

One - At the Airport

With a couple of hours to wait, there's plenty to see at the airport.





Two - On the plane

Choose a bag that will fit under the seat in front rather than the overhead lockers as you'll have everything to hand. Wear comfortable clothing and a warm fleece; change your shoes for some comfy, warm slippers to wear over your special flight socks from the chemist to prevent DVT (deep vein thrombosis); plug headphones plus jacks into the entertainment system; carry an empty plastic bottle to fill up with water on the plane.  Books and puzzles at the ready. Relax.  You are ready to take off.

Three - Clouds

Out of the window, clouds as big as mountains fill the sky.


Four - Food

With over 18 hours in the air, the food arrives regularly in a well organised fashion.



Five - Changing planes

Changi Airport in Singapore is full of gardens and well worth an explore.


There's the orchid garden.


The sunflower garden is outside in the humid heat.


There's an enchanted garden

as well as a cactus garden and even a butterfly garden which both looked spectacular even at midnight, more so during the day, no doubt.


In fact, there are gardens everywhere.


Wishing you all a great weekend.

Cheerio



32 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Singapore truly is amazing! I've not been there but only hear good things about how neat and orderly and clean it is ... the exact opposite of where I live. I always have my purse and a bag that fits under the seat, filled with my crochet supplies, word search, and a magazine/book. If there are good movies, then I watch those and before I know it, we've reached our destination. Have never been to Australia and probably never will. But we do travel often and having the right supplies with you makes the trip all the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure about taking a crochet hook but I didn't even read my book in the end as the films made the time fly by!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flowers. I've not got a passport so never been on a plane, great picture over the wing. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travelling isn't everyone's cup of tea and if you don't fly very often it is exciting. No doubt you get fed up with it if you have to do it regularly.

      Delete
  3. That sky is beautiful, but the gardens in the airport...how wonderful! I've never heard of such a thing but think it is such a good idea. I've flown a lot here in the USA and all I can remember seeing are advertisements all over the walls. Thanks for sharing the good side of flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to too many airports but Changi Singapore was definitely an exciting experience.

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a wonderful time! I really don't mind flying. I have to do it to visit Mum - there's no driving across the sea lol. I love looking at the clouds, so light and fluffy. It's like looking at cotton wool balls. Some good tips there! Looking forward to seeing photos of your holiday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you're on the plane, it's just like being on a bus! I watched so many films to pass the time.

      Delete
  5. Wow, those gardens are a delight. Sounds like an amazing trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love flying. Have an amazing trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a beautiful experience! I've flown a lot but never to an airport as nice as all that! :) Can't wait to see more of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth finding the gardens if you get the chance.

      Delete
  8. Wow! That airport is quite something. Will look forward to hearing all about your trip x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such beautiful flowers, so much to admire.

      Delete
  9. Singapore airport is amazing. The gardens must be balm to weary travellers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Great fun charging round the terminals trying to find them. 😊

      Delete
  10. Wow! You make flying sound wonderful. I wish it was!!!!! Singapore looks like too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as bad as I was expecting!!

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful airport with all those gardens and flowers? Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and looking forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My photos don't do the airport justice but we had a great trip.

      Delete
  12. How exciting, I can't wait to hear more about your trip. I hate flying, though we haven't holidayed abroad since 2008 so I haven't had to board a plane since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes thinking about it is worse than actually doing it. As long as there are plenty of films to watch, the time soon goes by.

      Delete
  13. the gardens look so beautiful
    great impressions of the airports

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so much better than my photos, so beautiful.

      Delete
  14. I visited Perth in 1997, loved every minute of it. I am looking forward to seeing your photos! I hate flying but it is such a convenient way to get to far away places. Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where we went, I loved it too, pity it's so far away. x

      Delete
  15. How exciting! Glad you had a great time. I look forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really exciting ! There will be quite a few posts, hope you enjoy them.

      Delete
  16. Oh my golly gosh, first you wait till I've left life Down Under for a visit (not that Perth and Melbourne are all that close!) then I worked out we might have even been in Singapore at the same time?! Oh well next time, we'll have to try and get our flight paths to coordinate, I know we'll both be able to spot each other in our matching DVT socks!!! Sounds like you've have an amazing month and I look forward to reading all about it!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! You can tell I'm not used to all this jetsetting mallarkey! I'm wide eyed and bowled over by the tiniest thing not like you seasoned travellers. x

      Delete