Friday, 7 April 2017

Five on Friday - East End.

Hello

Thanks for visiting.

I've been up in London exploring again, this time in the East End which is a bit of a trek across the City.  For my Five on Friday with FAST this week, I'm sharing some of the buildings I found on the way.

One - Whitechapel Road

Leaving the tube at Aldgate East, you are practically outside the Whitechapel Gallery decorated with Rachel Whiteread's golden leaves. 



 Walking along  Whitechapel Road, the huge London Muslim Centre with its colourful tiles is on your right. I realised at this point I'd gone the wrong way again, I was looking for Brick Lane which would take me all the way to Shoreditch, many of the roads along the way were covered in colourful street art which I'll show you in another post. 

As well as being famous for the notorious Jack the Ripper murders, this area has been home to many different ethnic communities throughout the centuries and nowadays Brick Lane is in the heart of the Bangladeshi community.  However it is also a draw to many artists and lots of markets, festivals, galleries, vintage clothes shops and restaurants can be found. It's a real mixture.

Two - Old Truman Brewery

The Old Truman Brewery, formerly the Black Eagle Brewery which in 1748 was the third largest brewery in London, is a 10 acre site turned into business, retail and leisure opportunities as well as an event space. The industrial buildings are enormous and loom high, covered by metal pipes in vast open areas.






Three - Second Home

Taking a detour down Hanbury Street, where there was a considerable amount of street art, this building came into view. You couldn't miss the orange acrylic tunnel which was obviously a cafΓ©. The door was a fantastic shape and just look at those pineapple planters in the windows above.  What was this building used for?




This converted carpet factory, designed by Architects SelgasCano, is the home of Second Home, offices for small companies who can meet, collaborate and share event space. The different sized offices are spread over two floors and their walls are made of clear acrylic so that there is a great deal of transparency and light across the whole floor.  Have a look at their website to see the opportunities for those that work there.

Four - Dark Sugars

Next up is this chocolate shop, Dark Sugars. Look at the presentation, and the delicious aroma drifting on to the pavement . . .


Five - Boxpark

Once under the railway, Brick Lane arrives at Shoreditch High Street, still loads of street art everywhere but right by the tube were all these deckchairs, part of the Boxpark installation, a series of extensive, shipping containers fixed together to provide pop- restaurants, shops and bars on two levels.


When you think of London, you generally have the Thames and famous landmarks in mind but this is another exciting, offbeat, multicultural area with plenty to investigate.

Thanks Tricky and Carly for hosting, have a great weekend.

Cheerio



32 comments:

  1. What a great day out you had! Lots of good things to explore and find. The chocolate smell in that shop must have been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so different to my other London trips! It did look a great shop.

      Delete
  2. Shoreditch is an area my family came from. It looks like a fascinating place today. No doubt very different to 100 years ago :) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a right mixture these days, popular with artists. There have been so many different groups living in the area influencing the sights. x

      Delete
  3. Thanks for showing us some not so well known parts of London. I went to Shoreditch last year and loved it, such a vibrant, fascinating area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so different to 'tourist' London with all the famous landmarks.

      Delete
  4. I think if I went to that part of London Dark Sugars would become my Second Home! Haha
    Thanks for linking up with us for Five on Friday, have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think if I went to that part of London Dark Sugars would become my Second Home! Haha
    Thanks for linking up with us for Five on Friday, have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! It did look rather spectacular. 😊

      Delete
  6. I've often considered doing the Jack the Ripper tour. There's a self-guided walk that takes in some of the sights of the area. But London's a long way from us and I don't get there as often as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably get lots of extra information on the tours that bring it all to life.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed the virtual stroll. Jack the Ripper oh my. Lovely choice of buildings. The brewery conversion into new spaces I love that industrial look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what is so interesting about London, you never know what you'll find.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a wonderful, vibrant area so different to the times of Jack the Ripper, that can only be a good thing. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vibrant is the word, there'll be a few more posts coming along!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing your Five on Friday. I admit that the only time I've been to Whitechapel was on one of those Jack the Ripper walking tours. It was so interesting.

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the walking tour. So much to see and do. Definitely the side of town I'd much prefer to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved "walking" along with you and seeing all the interesting buildings and places. Not sure I'd have made it out of the chocolate shop ;) Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look rather wonderful, doesn't it! 😊

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed walking tour with you! I enlarged each photo to enjoy more details. There are so many to see. The Golden leaves decoration are pretty!!!
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leaves are pretty and sparkle in the sun. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour. Enjoy your weekend too.

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed my East End walk with you! So many interesting buildings. We have that program in Seattle - 'Second Home' where small businesses can collaborate and exchange ideas. I saw it on the news a while back! Love that unique chocolate shop - that would have been the end of my walk right there! xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh maybe that's where they got the idea from, great idea isn't it. I thought the chocolate shop looked so different to all the others. x

      Delete
  14. If you hadn't told us "London", I'd never have guessed. Actually, it looks like it could be photos from five different countries. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the touristy side you usually see but is very popular. There will be a few more posts about the area coming soon. 😊

      Delete
  15. Not sure if I've ever been to this part of London before so I enjoyed your tour.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Karen for this lovely tour of the East End of London which I only really know through EastEnders!! I hope to get to know London more and more as my daughter now lives there. I will have to go our exploring the East End next time I am back :)
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much to see round every corner, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for bringing more of London to life for us Yankees. Enjoyed your tour.

    ReplyDelete