Monday, 27 March 2017

In the Shadows

Hello

Thanks for dropping by.

The luxury of a bright sunny, although chilly, chilly day, means another walk.  Which way to go?

Starting off on the Magnolia Trail, it turned swiftly into a Shadow Quest.


Here's a poem - My Shadow by Robert Louis Stevenson - to help us on our way.

I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me, 
     And what can be the use of him is more than I can see. 
    He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head; 
         And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed. 

The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow— 
Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow; 
For he sometimes shoots up taller like an india-rubber ball, 
And he sometimes gets so little that there's none of him at all. 



He hasn't got a notion of how children ought to play, 
And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way. 
He stays so close beside me, he's a coward you can see; 
I'd think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to me! 



One morning, very early, before the sun was up, 
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup; 
But my lazy little shadow, like an arrant sleepy-head, 
Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.




The clouds started to gather so I had to wait for the sun to peep through to take some of the photos.  Even the daffodils in this pot looked charming with their bold outline.






Back home where a shadowy dog was there wagging his tail in the wind.


That's another 8,000 steps to add to the collection. Now for a shadowy cup of tea.

Cheerio

4 comments:

  1. Love shadows. Mind you they are getting shorter all the time with the summer season approaching. I remember that poem well. Thanks for the reminder. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been rather grey here lately, not so many shadows around. Pleasure. x

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos. I haven't heard that poem before but it's perfect for your post today. Love the shadowy dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It fits in quite well even though it's from days gone by. I was hoping to find a bicycle but they were too quick for me!

      Delete