Friday, 10 February 2017

Five on Friday - The MERL

Hello

Thanks for visiting.

How can it be Friday so quickly?  I hope you've  had a good week.  We're joining Amy at Love Made My Home for Five on Friday, do follow the link to find the others, but you knew that didn't you!

I've visited another museum this week, once the garden gets going, we'll spend more time there!  This Reading University Museum of English Rural Life has had a makeover recently and looks great. The items exhibited date from 1750 to the present day and there have been so many changes in that time. Here are five things that caught my eye.

One - Film

As you enter the gallery, a charming animation complete with countryside sounds leads you through the seasons.  I could have stayed there all afternoon!  I did get a bit of a surprise when the thunderstorm hit but it didn't last for long and I didn't get wet.



Two - Sheep

Amongst the farm machinery and artefacts from the past, this sheep looked very smart in her jumper. Next to her, the blue screen is one of the interactive games for children to help the ewe's to give birth to and look after their lambs. I gave it a go but had a few technical issues feeding the lamb.


Three - Horse

Moving on to the role of horses, what a beautifully made horse this chap is.  In the case behind are lots of medical instruments used on horses but I thought you might be having your breakfast so am not showing them to you.




Four - Festival of Britain

The Festival of Britain took place in 1951, at the same time as The MERL opened.  This wall hanging shows the countryside of Kent and was made for the Festival.  It's one of seven designed by Michael O'Connell and hasn't been on display for a good sixty years.


You can see the oast houses next to the farm, a picturesque feature of Kent which can be seen to this day.


Five - Ladybird Books

There is a collection of Ladybird Books on the second floor part of the Archive of 20,000 illustrations for the books held by Reading University.  There are lots of books which take us back in time to childhood days.  Also up on the second floor are cases of exhibits which don't fit into the display.
I might show you these another day.



Have a good weekend.

Cheerio

28 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful exhibition. Love any museum about rural life. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it had all sorts of interesting bits and bobs. x

      Delete
  2. I have never been! How remiss, will see to try and rectify this soon, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a nice outdoor area too, I could just see a school party eating their lunch there in the summer. x

      Delete
  3. That looks interesting. We have a sculptor lives near here somewhere (Nottinghamshire I think, could be Derbyshire) who makes those wicker horses. The work involved is amazing and I was lucky enough to be up close to one a few months ago. Thanks for sparing us the medical bits! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the wicker sculptures they are so well made. It must take a lot of patience to stop the twigs springing out of place.

      Delete
  4. I would enjoy this museum as I love English rural life myself. I'd like to see that wall hanging close up and I believe Ladybird books have had a renaissance, adult style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The modern books are a hoot and so tempting with them made in the same style. Great idea.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great museum to visit, I love agricultural and rural craft museums. The illudstrations in the Ladybird books are wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is well displayed, lots of little treasures all over the place. 😊

      Delete
  6. So enjoyed the tour of the MERL, the Ladybird book illustrations made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those last two illustrations call out to me. I could enjoy seeing many more from those books. I'm going to google Ladybird Books! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different types of Ladybird books, a bit old fashioned now but so well illustrated. 😊

      Delete
  8. What a great museum! Nice things for adults and children... my favorites are the sheep, the horse and the last picture with the birds.
    Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's something for everyone. 😊

      Delete
  9. Thanks for taking us inside for a peek of the museum! Love that wall hanging and the beautiful illustrations. I had ponies when the children were young and were introduced to some of those horse medical devices. They still look medieval to this day! x K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear rather you than me! The price you have to pay for the ponies though. 😊

      Delete
  10. What a great looking museum, love the sheep exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind a jumper like that. 😊

      Delete
  11. What a fun and interesting museum to visit. Ladybird books bring back memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite special. They have started making them for adults now as a bit of a joke. 😊

      Delete
  12. Nice to see you again!
    Thank you for taking us to the great exhibition! i am interested in that horse beautifully made! I have noticed his eyes, right and left. Looks a bit sad. Have a good weekend,Crimson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling in! He's a lovely chap isn't he. 😊

      Delete
  13. The Ladybird books - wow, remember them - they were so lovely - I can still smell them. I love the Oast houses down in the south of England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oast houses look wonderful, I once stayed in a b&b that was a converted oasthouse which was great fun.

      Delete
  14. I'm all about rural life...I enjoyed all the pieces you shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'good, I'm so glad. Thanks for leaving a message.

      Delete