Friday, 20 January 2017

Five on Friday -Henley and Bits and Bobs

Hello

Thanks for visiting, it's always great to see you!

Many thanks to Amy for the Five on Friday link-up which you will find here on her Love Made My Home blog.  My five this week are  a bit of a mixture, hopefully you will enjoy them.


One - Winter Wreath

Here's my Winter Wreath finished and on display with a big fat robin sitting on it!  Now I have three wreaths including the Christmas and Easter ones.  They are quite quick to make, use up scraps of wool from other projects and are such fun to make.  I can't recommend Lucy at Attic24's blog highly enough for colourful, exciting projects for the beginner, all so well explained.  If you are looking for something new to learn and don't want to spend a fortune on classes, this is the place to go to teach yourself.



Two - Cafe

There's been a bit of a reorganisation of our local Craft Centre recently, the shops within it have changed hands quite a lot, it's taking a while to settle down.  The cafe has recently been taken over by the owner of the Chocolate Cafe in Henley and although already open, over the next couple of months it will be refurbished.  In the meantime, I thought a field trip to Henley was in order to have a look to see what's on the way.




The fare was delicious so I think we'll be OK!  What was especially nice was you could watch the chef making the cakes through the window at the back of the cafe.

Three - Wind in the Willows

While in Henley, I couldn't resist a trip to the River and Rowing Museum.  There is a delightful 3D version of the Wind in the Willows story for children (and adults!) to wander round and enjoy.  The Author Kenneth Grahame lived just down the Thames in Pangbourne.  The illustrator of the book published in 1931 was E. H.Shepard, also known for his Winnie the Pooh illustrations and there is an interesting account of their work on the book.




Four - Henley Iron Age Coin Hoard

These 32 gold coins, also in the Museum, are over 2,000 years old and believed to have belonged to the Atrebates tribe.  They were probably made in Silchester in Hampshire and are blank on one side and have a horse with a triple tail over a wheel on the other.


Five - Rowers

The Museum has much of interest to rowers of course. This  photo brought back some excellent memories of the London 2012 Olympics.


I'll show you a few more Henley photos during the week.

Cheerio

32 comments:

  1. You are certainly getting around at the moment. I'm glad your cafe will be in good hands. Love the winter wreath. So pretty. Have a good weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try and go somewhere different each week and stretch out the blog posts! Hopefully they will show people a few interesting places to visit. Have fun.x

      Delete
  2. I'd love to see both those exhibitions. The iron age hoard looks fascinating and Wind in the Willows was one of my favourite childhood books. I like the sound of the cafe where you can watch the cakes being made:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chef had piles of eggs ready to make the cakes and there was so much to choose from. I'd better not go too often!

      Delete
  3. Your wreaths are so sweet. Lots of changes going on, but hopefully all will settle down and people will be happy with the new arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yrs, lots of changes everywhere. Fingers crossed we end up with something better.

      Delete
  4. Just thinking about Wind in the Willows makes me smile! Love your wreath ... Lucy is wonderful, isn't she?!!! Sounds like the cafe will be wonderful. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I'll go to Skipton to Yarndale, I'd really enjoy that. Happy Saturday!☺

      Delete
  5. I love The Wind n the Willows. I used to share reading it with my Dad and it brings back wonderful memories The exhibition looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it brought back some good memories for you.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks. He's a bit red though isn't he!

      Delete
  7. I love Wind in the Willows. It was one of my favourite stories when I was a child. I really should go back and re-read. Love the wreath. It doesn't look easy! Thanks for sharing your Five on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a well done set of models to weave in and out of, anyone who likes the Wind in the Willows would be charmed by it.

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a nice cute wreath! Never seen before a crochet robin...
    "Wind in the willows" is here in Germany popular too.
    Enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, it's looking nice and cheerful on the wall. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  9. A fascinating visit to go on with you - as always! The places you visited were great, but you know that, well, I just love that wreath!! It is so pretty!! Love the robin too, he is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. I used a different pattern to Lucy for the robin and had to change the wings a bit. He looks so red though and he's nowhere near the fire! X

      Delete
  10. A lovely five and I especially like your cheery robin and winter wreath. Lucy's patterns are excellent aren't they, so uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole blog is just wonderful, I'm so pleased I came across it.

      Delete
  11. Hey you are back in my birthplace! Everytime I'm home we talk about a visit, your post has reminded me to do this! Love your wreath. I know you are a tennis fan, I am keeping everything crossed for Johanna and Sir Andy to be in the finals!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, they might need your help. I've got a few more Henley posts lined up for you. X

      Delete
  12. The crochet winter wreath is just mind blowing...

    Please visitor: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Henley looks like an interesting place to visit. Those old coins are fascinating. What a wonderful wreath you've created! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorrie glad you like it. The coins look so new don't they. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  14. I would welcome that chocolate cafe with wide open arms. cracks me up you popped over to try it out and give your approval. You had me at chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love it there then, though my rocky road was difficult to bite as it came from the fridge and was just enormous. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  15. Chocolate, what could be better. Love the Wind in the Willow, have seen several versions, one with actors and one as a cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! The story has been popular for years, hasn't it.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for sharing your lovely Five! I admire your wreath and enjoyed learning from your travels :)

    ReplyDelete