Friday, 9 December 2016

Five on Friday - Winchester at Christmas

Hello

Thanks so much for visiting especially as it's Five on Friday time over at the Love Made My Home link-up, let's dash over and see what's going on.

One - Shopping

A trip to Winchester is always a treat but is extra special when the Christmas market is in town, it's right next to the Cathedral. It's expanded this year with lots of little craft huts and delicious-smelling snacks on offer, with an ice rink for those with good balance. There were some really pretty things for sale and, having made a Christmas tree at a glass fusing workshop a couple of months ago, I was surprised to see something similar on sale for £10! Fancy that!


Round the corner in the High Street, the Christmas lights were twinkling and carol singers were singing.





Two - Cathedral

Inside the Cathedral, a school was having a rehearsal in preparation for their concert, the sound of the Christmas carols played by the band and their joyous singing filled the huge space. A large Christmas tree reached up to the broken-stained-glass-puzzle window.


When we visited last time, see my post under the Winchester label above, I forgot to take some photos of St Swithun's tomb, the small tunnel (the Holy Hole) and the modern icons above. St Swithun is the patron saint of the cathedral and his shrine attracted many pilgrims who hoped to benefit from his healing powers and they could crawl through the tunnel to get close to his shrine. However during the Reformation, all the valuables on the spectacular shrine were stolen. Here's a link which gives you more information as well as telling us about the 40 days of rain associated with his feast day.



Can you see the Holy Hole? It's behind the chair . . .



No Santa hat for Antony Gormley's sculpture
A meal in the Cathedral Refectory is recommended as it's delicious and you are also boosting the funds of the cathedral upkeep.  So squashing in a cake as well was for altruistic reasons.



Three - Jane Austen

The last house that Jane Austen lived in before she died is in Winchester and she is buried in the Cathedral as I mentioned in a previous post.  Outside her old house is a charming grassy spot with a new dedication to her.  This is in readiness for the 200th anniversary of her death next year in 2017.  A number of events have been organised to celebrate, here's a link with details.



Four - The Great Hall

Another favourite of ours is The Great Hall which contains Arthur's Round Table, painted in Tudor times. It's a great space and looked very Christmassy.  It's hard to believe that Sir Walter Raleigh was tried and convicted of treason in the room all those years ago.



Outside the Hall was a new memorial to the American soldiers who trained in the area during WWI, see the plaque below.




Five - Nature

Finally, it was too chilly to sit by the river but here's a little taster of the great outdoors.

Another place to try and see a kingfisher!

Squishy fruit on the tree masquerading as walnuts.

Amazing white pods dangling from this plant

Two grassy dogs outside a shop!
Have a great week. See you again soon. Hopefully.

Cheerio

34 comments:

  1. A lovely five Karen. The Christmas market sounds wonderful. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was impressed by the sound of the Christmas market. A lovely five, it has been years since we visited Winchester maybe I should add it to my list for another visit. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winchester is always worth a visit, there's so much to see and enjoy!

      Delete
  3. The Christmas market collage is lovely - enjoy the pre-Christmas time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Riitta. I expect the market looks beautiful at night when it is all lit up. Have fun

      Delete
  4. That is a brilliant five Karen and so Christmassy. I would love to visit Winchester, I studied it a few years ago when I was on a BID project. The cathedral cafe looks fab. Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. It is a beautiful place. I really like cathedral cities, they are always so interesting. Have fun x

      Delete
  5. I used to work in P&G Wells, many moons ago! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in Winchester for eight years and worked there for many more years so was interested to read your post. I used to love visiting P&G Wells bookshop and spent many a happy hour browsing the shelves. One day I will get around to visiting the Christmas market. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winchester is wonderful all year round, isn't it, there's so much to see and do. x

      Delete
  7. Wonderful post - thanks for the visit to Winchester. I didn't know about Jane Austen's connection to Winchester. I have been there once but only for a few hours on a stopover. Beautiful pictures.

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to go back again one day, there's so much to see. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  8. Winchester looks so festive. I remember seeing Jane Austen's House and the mmemorial in the Cathedral. I'd love to have a look in that bookshop:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bookshop is just down the road from where Jane Austen lived, it does look so inviting. :-)

      Delete
  9. I love Winchester but it's so far from here. Thanks for letting me enjoy it through your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them. I always enjoy yours from the North! Blogging is so handy!

      Delete
  10. It was great to come along to with you in a virtual kind of way! Glad you had a great day out. What fun to see a tree similar to yours, you must be a great designer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I must say it did make me wonder if I should make some more, you can't go wrong with a Christmas tree shape but perhaps a woolly one would be easier. x

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the day trip! I thought I was in Winchester, VA at first but quickly got myself sorted. It would be nice to stroll the streets when the Christmas market is on. A huge thanks for showing the new memorial for the American soldiers. It was very touching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the memorial, it's such a great idea, isn't it. I wonder what Winchester VA looks like!

      Delete
  12. What a lovely informatic post, thank you. The cathedral is gorgeos and such cute little shops... I would like to be there for a walk.
    Enjoy the weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very pretty city and has a fast running river passing through. There is always something lovely to see there.

      Delete
  13. It is really a Christmas time you have shown! I like your
    Christmas collage! And how beautiful the cathedral is.
    Seeing the new memorial to the American soldiers is a bit sad. We have shared the sad memories.Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes lots of sad memories for everyone. I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing the city.

      Delete
  14. Thanks so much for taking me along on your adventuring. It is interesting to learn about the history of the area, and the cathedral in particular is amazing to view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful place, set on a large grassy are. There are some more photos of it in the posts under the Winchester label above.

      Delete
  15. Winchester is one of our favorite English cities so I really enjoyed your photos. It would be nice to visit for Jane's 200th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely, isn't it. I will have to keep my eyes out next year in case Mr Darcy is roaming the streets for her 200th!

      Delete
  16. Those grassy dogs are awesome! Winchester at Christmas looks lovely!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really unusual, not what one expects of a Christmas decoration! x

      Delete
  17. I found the sculpture of the soldier's gear on the bench very touching. By enlarging the photo, I could read about the pledge.

    Wish all the men who passed through here could see this and feel proud. Sadly, only their decendants remain to see that they were honored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a great idea, with the gear on the bench as if they were coming back again. Glad I could share it with you.

      Delete