Friday, 23 December 2016

Five on Friday - Before the Break

Hello

Thanks for calling in.  As we head towards the end of another year, it has been so kind of you to keep me company.  I've been delighted to see lots more pageviews registered recently. How amazing! Welcome!

This is the last Five on Friday until the New Year as we'll be having a break.  Thanks so much to Amy at Love Made My Home for organising the link-up all these years.  It has been really fun to join in and see what's happening all around the world.

My Five are just things that have happened this week.

One - Hospital

Visiting Mr CK in hospital this week opened my eyes to a different kind of Christmas decoration not seen outside the medical establishment.  Fingers crossed Mr CK is sent home in time for The Day.


Two - Cakes

I couldn't resist taking a few photos of these pretty cakes in the supermarket. Aren't they lovely.







Three - Gingerbread Tree

This year, instead of a gingerbread house we are having a gingerbread Christmas tree for a change. The houses we have made over the years can be seen here.

The recipe will be the same but 19 stars have been cut out, baked and stacked on top of each other to form a tree.  Here's a template for the stars. I've glued it all together with chocolate and sploshed some white icing on for snow.  My photos look somewhat crazy with all the lines so do have a look at the link to see a professional one!



Four - Ice Cream Mountain

Another tradition is the ice cream mountain - cream (whipped) full of chocolate meringues amaretti biscuits, sherry, cherries, maraschino cherries, digestive biscuits and maltesers.  I know, double yum! It's something we all like to create together.  It goes into the freezer and is thoroughly enjoyed as an alternative to Christmas Pud.



Five - Happy Christmas

Finally, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.  I hope it turns out just the way you want it to be.


Cheerio

24 comments:

  1. I love your alternative to Christmas pud which I am not a lover of so I'm always looking for something easy and tasty to enjoy.

    I do hope Mr CK is home for Christmas, wishing you both a lovely Christmas.

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather delicious. I looked for a photo from last year but it was eaten up too quickly! You can add different things to the mix but nothing that freezes too solid. Have a great Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Your ice cream mountain sounds wonderful. I do hope Mr CK will be back home with you very soon. Wishing you both a happy Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, he's back home now, just needs to take it easy. Have a wonderful Christmas too. x

      Delete
  3. Hello, isn't it amazing what you can make with a bedpan! It took me a minute to work out how this most unusual Christmas decoration was made....

    I just poppped over from Rosie's blog and enjoyed your five on Friday. Your gingerbread Christmas tree is delightful. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in, great to see you. The decoration is very unusual but such a fun idea isn't it! Have a very happy Christmas.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know Mr CK was in hospital - sending wishes for a speedy recovery and to be home for Christmas. Hope you're ok? All the festive foods looks and sounds great. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, fortunately he's back home now and all fixed. Something we weren't expecting but it has worked out well in the end. Enjoy your Christmas and your runs x

      Delete
  5. So beautiful muffins and cookies and great gingerbread tree. My best wishes for Mr.CK, get well soon and Merry Christmas together at home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Mascha, hope you have a wonderful Christmas,

      Delete
  6. I hope Mr CK is home for Christmas. Love all the goodies. I wasn't a lot of good at gingerbread houses and the trees look even harder!

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The tree is much easier especially if you have cutters for the stars, just a dab of chocolate to stick them together and it's done! Have a great Christmas x

      Delete
  7. Ice cream mountain. I keep going back to that idea!

    Good luck to Mr CK. Home he's home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really scrumptious just right for Christmas. Have a great time.

      Delete
  8. Your gingerbread Christmas tree is delightful.

    We'll send a wee prayer that your Mr. C will be home for the Big Day. We know just how special those times are.

    Merry Christmas!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, It's done the trick as he's back home now. Enjoy your Christmas x

      Delete
  9. Hope all goes well with Mr CK. Have a lovely Christmas with all those delicious treats. B x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gingerbread tree! What a novel idea! Might have to try it. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks quite nice and was easy to put together, much easier than the house and smells just as good!

      Delete
  11. Seeing the gingerbread houses was a real treat. I've never made one, and don't expect I will after seeing some of the disasters on TV with caving roofs, etc.

    Love the idea of the chocolate mountain. Could you show us some more photos of that? I'm not sure how a serving would look - that is, if you have any left.

    Best wishes for a perfect 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy. I've divided the ice cream mountain into three smaller ones this year. I'll put a photo on in the New Year so you can have a look. I used to be able to get coloured glacé cherries which gave a splash of yellow and green too, but they don't seem to sell them anymore. Hope you've had a great Christmas 🎅

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear that Mr CK had been in hospital, but I see from your replies that he is home again. I hope that all is now well and that you have had a good Christmas. Sorry to be late, just catching up! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amt, it was all a bit of a shock and through Christmas up in the air with not knowing if we could carry on with our plans as he waited to hear what surgery was needed. All was well though and he's had a good rest at home. X

      Delete