Friday, 7 October 2016

A Royal Five on Friday

Hello

Thanks for visiting. It's Five on Friday again, so do pop over to Love Made My Home for the link-up.

Here's a few random photos of Windsor on a beautiful day.

One - Castle

The people below are having a good look at Queen Victoria's statue in Windsor. I wonder if their interest has been sparked by the television series?


Walking through the archway opposite the castle that leads down the steps to the Alexandra Park, you'll find some tiles on the wall depicting Windsor town and a birds eye view of the Castle.


Two - The Guildhall

Designed by Sir Christopher Wren, the Guildhall was chosen for the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and for Sir Elton John's civil partnership. It looks like another wedding had just taken place.





Three - Along the Thames, swans and boats.

Loads of swans, what can I say!!



The famous Windsor Duck tour starts off on land  driving round the sights before splashdown!

Four - The bandstand in Alexandra Park

A new bandstand  was officially opened by The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh as part of her 90th birthday celebrations earlier this year. It looks like the original Edwardian one but incorporates technology required by modern day performers.  On each of the six sides are plaques designed by local schools showing the links between the Queen, the armed forces and Windsor. It must have been spectacular to see the band of the Irish Guards playing in their bright red uniforms and bearskins with 500 schoolchildren singing away.


Five - Pavement Clock



The clock was originally buried in the pavement by a local jeweller and clockmaker to the Queen as an advertising gimmick in 1950 but  mysteriously disappeared forty years later.  In 2011 a new one was installed along with a time capsule containing items about the town, event programmes and a film clip. When it needs to be serviced - in 50 years time - I wonder what Windsor will look like! No doubt the castle will be much the same having been there for 1,000 years already.

Have a great week!

Cheerio

32 comments:

  1. It's years since I went to Windsor. Thanks for the armchair tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Windsor. We used to visit a lot when I was in my teens. I'm loving the new series of Victoria. Feel it may last a long time :) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could last for years as they are using her very detailed diaries. For some reason, I'm not so keen on it. x

      Delete
  3. Lovely scenes from Windsor. I haven't visited Windsor for years, think it is something I will have to put right soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, it has bags of history and the river never fails to disappoint. x

      Delete
  4. Love Windsor one of my favourite places, including the theater too. Lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a colourful place isn't it. I haven't been to the theatre there for years. x

      Delete
  5. If I should never make it over to England at least I have seen some desired sights through your lens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them, I keep taking you all over the place don't I!

      Delete
  6. A lovely tour and photos of Windsor, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the lovely tour! I too hope to be able to visit the fascinating site sometimes in the future. :)
    Have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is certainly a beautiful place to visit.

      Delete
  8. Oh I'd love to visit Windsor! Great photos all round!
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hopefully one day you might be able to visit as well.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for taking us on a tour of Windsor! I haven't been for years. Lovely to see it!

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do the swans really belong to the queen? I saw a film once where the Swan Keeper or Master or Whatever had to go out and paddle down the river and check on the swans, count them, tag them, etc. Is that all true? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link to a website with information about the swan upping ceremony https://www.royal.uk/swan-upping-2016-18-22-july I haven't seen it myself, one day maybe.

      Delete
  11. I would have loved to have been with you on this tour....in person. What a special treat you've shared with your photos.

    I finally found you again. Your profile link with comments shows no blog url when clicking on it...so I went out and typed your 'crimson kettle' in Google and....here I am.

    I'm gonna add you to my reading list so I no longer have to hunt you down. [lol]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Well that's very kind of you. I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  12. Dear and I were staying on the Thames a short distance from Windsor in 2014 and really enjoyed our walk about there. We took a boat tour along the Thames, too. We were amazed at the amount of swans. Thanks for the photos and info you shared here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure. There are some beautiful places along the Thames aren't there. I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip.

      Delete
  13. I have never visited Windsor castle but it looks like an amazing place. Thank you for sharing. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just what you expect a castle to look like isn't it. x

      Delete
  14. Windsor is on our list of places to visit. Lovely photos xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place - always busy and bustling. x

      Delete
  15. Nice to see you again,
    Thank you for taking us to your tour. Windsor is a beautiful place. Most of all, I enjoyed the story of the clock! Wonderful to see the new one installed. Such a beautiful clock!Happy day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying hello, so glad you enjoyed the post. I'm pleased the clock is back again, it's one of those things I always look for when visiting.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the tour! When we visited Windsor (far too long ago) we enjoyed Queen Anne's Doll's House (and everything else!). That duck tour looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must seem a bit scary when the bus plunges into the river! It's a great place isn't it.

      Delete