Sunday, 25 September 2016

Mass and Momentum

Hello

Fancy seeing you here!

Last time, I visited the Art Centre by the shops, a new exhibition was being installed so this time I was keen to see what was what.

Dolly Kershaw's Mass and Momentum offers nine different works in which gravity and/or the participant plays a part.

To Participate, 2015 - the sign invites you to sit on the pivoted board to watch and hear the marbles whoosh about around you giving an indication of the mood and experience of the person.



Coloured gravel, 2016 - you are invited to walk over the squares of different coloured aquarium gravel and cause them to merge.

Scales, 2014 - handmade copper scales are balanced by the piles of gravel but the adjustment is altered by the flow of people in the room who are encouraged to add gravel to iron out any inconsistencies.


Magnet wheel, 2013 - horseshoe magnets are joined and interlock like fabric.


Pencil sharpening, 2016 - a fragile column of pencil sharpening


Mobile immobility, 2015 - with all the castors fixed together with the wheels facing in, the wheel created could move.


The I's, 2013 - the I shaped blocks are like a jenga tower. I rather like the expression on the dog's face outside the window who has his eye on a gardener in the corner!


I'm sure the children visiting the gallery will love to have a go with the exhibits.

Cheerio

10 comments:

  1. Never mind the children. Sounds like great fun for adults too :) B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I can just picture you within the marbles! x

      Delete
  2. Looks an exhibition which is both colourful and fun to explore. I wonder if the dog belongs to the gardener?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so but no doubt he's watched Gardeners World and seen Nigel get a ball out of a wheelbarrow! :-)

      Delete
  3. I would love to see this, it sounds fab! The marbles exhibit especially, sounds like great fun xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't resist marbles, all the different colours and patterns. x

      Delete
  4. Sounds really interesting! I like the idea of everyone trying to even up the very complicated scales! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could really make it go totally out of kilter and have to spend ages sorting it out again! x

      Delete
  5. I would love to see that myself, what a great exhibition.

    ReplyDelete