Saturday, 13 August 2016

Purple in the Border

Hello

Thanks for calling in, hopefully you're having a great week.

After my recent visit to Caversham Court Gardens, I arrived home with loads of leaflets and realised I hadn't had a look at the crinkle-crankle wall.  How remiss was that!

In case you don't know what a crinkle-crankle wall is, here's a link with more information. I had to go back and see.

The Michaelmas daisies were just opening up.




Lilies by the river, all pink and curly.


Here's the crinkle crankle from the top looking down into the allotments,  a bit tricky to get a good photo as the wall is quite long.  I had a chat with the octogenarian allotmenteer who told me that the wall is very strong, holding back the hill with the church and cemetery on top and heats up beautifully which helps the fruit trees planted inside the curves.





The wall from below.


 Since my last visit, the mulberry tree had split and fallen.


Mulberries
 Walking along the river, boats were busy, rowers rowing just like in the Olympics, flowers flowering and birds eating.




Back at the station I just had to try a chocolate and caramel ice cream from Tutti Frutti, delicious if somewhat soft!

Yum!

Cheerio

12 comments:

  1. Michaelmas daisies are a true sign of Autumn on the way. Your wobbly wall looks like a great place to visit. Hope the mulberry will survive. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem a bit early to me, but welcome to see anyway! x

      Delete
  2. Now that was one impressive wall. The Michealmass daisies were a joy to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really needed to get inside the allotments but it was all locked up, maybe next time!

      Delete
  3. Lovely Michaelmas daisies, one of my favourites. I've never heard of or seen a crinkle crankle wall - what a great idea. Glad to see that the mulberry tree seems to be ok, despite falling. Have a great weekend.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, it doesn't sound like a real term for a wall does it! x

      Delete
  4. Love the Michaelmas daisies and the crinkle crankle wallis wonderful. I hope the Mulberry tree will survive:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The berries looked great but they had the tree behind precautionary fencing and I think they've taken a few cuttings, so fingers crossed. :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure if the crinkle crankle wall or the icecream is my favourite, both look fab! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice cream tasted much better than it looks in the photo. x

      Delete
  6. There's a very old mulberry tree where I live, once in the grounds of an old manor house but now on a roadside verge, propped up with supports. My friend has planted one in her garden so that if/when the old one goes, there will still be one in the village. Lovely post. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. They seem to be having a bad year with all this collapsing everywhere. x

      Delete