Thursday, 4 August 2016

Of Butterflies and Bees

Hello

So nice of you to visit.

Browsing through the Waitrose newspaper for 28th July, I found a few interesting items. It's a pity you can't seem to read it online.

First of all there's good news for Purple Emperor butterflies, which are one of Britain's largest and most elusive, as their numbers are increasing unlike many other butterflies. Apparently, the species is moving North and has been spotted (!) in Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Warwickshire and North Norfolk. It spends its time in woodland canopies in July and August feeding on aphid honeydew but the male descends to feed on animal droppings and carrion. If you see one, you are asked to let the Big Butterfly Count know.  They recommend Bookham Common, Fermyn Country Park and the Knepp Woodland Project as places to find them.



The top five childhood book characters are: Winnie the Pooh, Harry Potter, George from the Famous Five, Bilbo Baggins and Matilda.



Andy Hunt's Herefordshire farm produces 67 tonnes of cherries for Waitrose. Honeybees from 100 hives do the pollinating but solitary mason bees are also used as the honeybees aren't so keen to work if it's cold. Their natural homes of hollow plant stems are replicated by using cardboard tubes in the tunnels where the cherries grow. The mason bees don't make honey but only only reproduce.



There's allsorts of interesting stuff in these free newspapers.

Bye for now

8 comments:

  1. Oh I wonder if the butterfly will make it this far north, it is a beautiful colour. Between us three girls, I have think you have all our childhood favourites, it was George from the Famous Five for me xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're spoilt for choice these days with book characters aren't we! x

      Delete
  2. I was a George fan too ,although my boys loved Winnie the Pooh ! What. Beautiful butterfly, never seen one of those . B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be keeping my eyes open to try and spot one! x

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely butterfly,I've never seen one of those in the wild. Love Winnie the Pooh, but I think I read Secret Seven rather than the Famous Five when I was a child:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to enjoy Swallows and Amazon's. :-)

      Delete
  4. A beautiful butterfly, not one that I have ever come across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither but it's good that it is quite big so should be easy to spot if you're in the right place!

      Delete