Wednesday, 27 July 2016

Paint Monthly - L.S. Lowry

Hello

Rather late in the day, I'm joining Barbara at Coastal Ripples for the Paint Monthly link-up.

Having just visited the University of Salford where Laurence Stephen Lowry studied (at that time it was known as Salford Royal Technical Institute), I thought his work would be a good subject to choose.  Born in 1887, he always considered himself a self-taught painter, despite spending many years studying art in the evenings whilst working as a rent collector and clerk in Manchester. He painted his surroundings, particularly Pendlebury and is mainly known for his townscapes and Street scenes, although he did paint many other subjects. He was elected a Royal Academician in 1962 and died in 1976.

The first two paintings came from Art UK's website

Market Scene Northern Tower 1939

An Organ Grinder 1934


Ebbw Vale 1960 - We saw this picture in the Herbert in Coventry 

There are quite a few reminders of Lowry in the area.  This statue of him is in Sam's Chop House in Manchester where he used to visit. Incidentally, a great place to eat!



Corned Beef Hash


In June, Cilla Black's Lowry collection sold for nearly £700,000 and in 2014 one painting sold for £2.3 million.

Although the people in his paintings are often referred to as matchstick men, when seen close up, there is a lot more detail and colour to the figures. The buildings are very precise and the scenes evocative of the time.

Bye for now.

8 comments:

  1. I love Lowry's work. One of these days I will get to Salford to view his work. I loved showing his paintings to children when I taught. Many thanks for joining in Paint Monthly again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure, Barbara although I need to get a move on as August is just round the corner! x

      Delete
  2. Love Lowry, one of my favourite artists. I haven't seen the statue in the chop house, I must seek that out next time we visit:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good idea having him sat there at the bar! :-)

      Delete
  3. I've always liked Lowry's work.
    What a very interesting post, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I would like to have visited the gallery but the opening times didn't work out, next time.

      Delete