Friday, 29 July 2016

Five on Friday -Whitworth Gallery, Manchester

Hello

Thanks for visiting.

I, too, have been visiting.  I was determined to pop into the Whitworth Gallery in Manchester this time as previously there hadn't been any!  It won the 2015 Art Fund Museum of the Year after its £15 million redevelopment. So here's five things I spotted whilst pottering through.

One - Tibor Reich

Born in Hungary to family of Jewish textile industrialists, Tibor Reich developed a love of colour and studied architecture, textile design and technology in Vienna but with the rise of Nazism had to leave and enrolled at Leeds University, a leading centre for textile research. He set up Tibor Ltd in Stratford on Avon creating his distinctive range of colourful woven and printed textiles. The exhibition of his work celebrating his centenary, included many familiar fabrics and ceramics from post war years also a video showing how he made his designs by taking photos of nature, cutting them up and rearranging the pieces to develop the patterns for screen printing.





Two - Building

The new part of the gallery was added to the 127 year old building, creating interesting exhibition spaces. Some displays can even be viewed from outside the building through the glass. The parkland outside very much feels as if it is part of the gallery seen through small windows displaying it like a painting.

I'll tell you about the tree here in a separate blogpost


Three - Hampers

I rather like the idea of their Art Hampers. You can pick up a hamper and fill it with any of the art supplies provided - paper, pencils, art ideas etc. - take it off and get creative. Free when the gallery is open - just return the hamper when you have finished.


Four - A Walk in the Park

Whitworth Park, full of wild flowers and wildlife, also contains a number of sculptures, including one of Emily Young's Maremma Warrior Heads. There's an art garden designed by Sarah Price a Chelsea gold medallist within the building.

By Emily Young
The Outsider/The Insider by Simon Periton


Five - Café

Look at my chicken sandwich!  How fantastic is that!  Full of herbs and flavour, the salad with it was spectacular and delicious all in one go.  The Modern Caterer delivers a seasonal menu and homemade cakes in a café within the trees as there are floor to ceiling windows.




We're linking with Amy for the last Five on Friday before the summer. Enjoy your holidays everyone!

Cheerio

42 comments:

  1. That chicken sandwich looks delicious. What fabulous fabrics. Love the idea of an art hamper. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! The salad was so unusual and Herby, I felt I had been somewhere really special! x

      Delete
  2. What a great idea, the art hamper. Looks like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have done with a bit longer there. I liked the new part of the building with the old.

      Delete
  3. I love the art hamper. The V&A in London used to do something similar and I once had a wonderful afternoon sketching and using all kinds of art materials I didn't have at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of such a thing as art hamper :) Sounds fun. The garden gate is very pretty, and the textiles fabulous. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Riitta. I've not seen the art hamper idea before but I expect children would love to take a little case full of bits and pieces into the gallery or park to do some sketching.

      Delete
  5. You know, you really are turning Manchester into a proper holiday destination. Top marks! I loved this one especially. Those Tibor Reichs are spectacular. Have a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my kind of holiday,these old cities have so much worth seeing, I've got blog posts piling up for a change!x

      Delete
  6. Wow, Tibor Reich's work is wonderful. It looks like a great place to visit and the sandwich is something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of him before but some of the textiles were so familiar.

      Delete
  7. Ah our Ellie's student flat last year was just around the corner from Whitworth Park, I can't believe we never went!The Art Hampers are a great idea and that sandwich looks delicious. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that was before they reopened it, it must have been a bit of a building site for a while. Ellie was lucky to have all the Manchester facilities on her doorstep. x

      Delete
  8. It's a wonderful place and quite a while since we visited there and the natural history museum, your post has made me want to return soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how we managed to pack so many museums into a couple of days but we didn't go to the Natural History one! Next time:-)

      Delete
  9. A great museum and a super looking sandwich. Love the idea of the art hampers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice place to visit, bit too far from me usually though.

      Delete
  10. Looks like a wonderful museum with all the windows and garden to look out on. The art hampers are a great idea, especially for children. Beautiful art and your lunch looks delicious! xx K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't eat it all, there was so much on the plate, I could have done with a hamper to take the rest home!

      Delete
  11. I like your five - especially numbers three and five. Imagine a gallery that encourages creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I thought the hampers were such a good idea. I couldn't read your post this week as the link took me back to Amy's.

      Delete
  12. I've only ever been to Manchester for work in the past, never for pleasure - I think we need to remedy that, enjoyed the tour of the museum and the idea of the art hamper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lots to see tucked round every corner!

      Delete
  13. This would make for an enjoyable day, to take an art hamper and be creative then have a fantastic lunch like you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good idea isn't it and there's a lovely park to sketch in too.

      Delete
  14. I would have enjoyed the textile exhibition very much. What vibrant colours! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was lots of inspiration for quilt or blanket making.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for taking us to the Whitworth Gallery. I really enjoyed the story behind how the textiles were made. Fun! Great color. I like the hamper idea, too. Your lunch has made me hungry! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling in, glad you enjoyed it. Enjoy the holidays!

      Delete
  16. I've not heard of Tibor Reich before, and I enjoyed reading about his process for designs. The art hamper idea would be a lot of fun. Yummy looking sandwich! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The video was so interesting, such a great way to come up with a new design. Have fun.

      Delete
  17. I want to eat in that restaurant. What is the white in the salad? Barley? Shoepeg corn? I couldn't tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure either! It was very soft so we decided it must be a very small type of pasta but I'm not 100%. Tasty though.

      Delete
  18. I really need to take more time to visit places like that. The art hamper idea is brilliant. X

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing, Karen, I had heard that the Whitworth was open again and and a great museum to visit. Last time I went was 1987, time I went back, I think. That sandwich looks really tasty! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't been before but had heard they'd done a good job on the refurb. The sandwich was fab!

      Delete
  20. What a fascinating place to visit! So many great things to see. I thought the art hampers were a great idea, especially for getting children involved and occupied too. The lunch looks good as well! Thank you too for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great August and I look forward to seeing you again in September! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great break, I expect it will fly by! x

      Delete
  21. Love the art hamper. Thanks for sharing with Five On Friday

    ReplyDelete