Friday, 3 June 2016

Five on Friday - Views

Hello

I hope you've had a good week.

You join us today as we link up with Amy for another Five on Friday, do have a look to see what else is going on.

This week I'm going to show you five windows and their views, not the beautiful stained glass ones, I've done that already here, but just windows for looking out of to see what can be seen!

One - Red House

This house was designed by Philip Webb for William Morris.  Packed full of interesting details like the wallpaper, decorated ceilings and furniture, I love the windows which remind me of sleepy owls!


Looking out of the window, you can see a pretty garden.


Two - Scotney Castle

This is referred to as the new house built by the Hussey family from sandstone from the quarries of the old castle.


This is the view from their windows.  How fantastic! It's the old castle left as a romantic ruin.



Three - Blenheim Palace

Birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill and the home of the Dukes of Marlborough, Blenheim is a spectacular place to visit.


There is some reaction between the colour of the stone, the light and the countryside that bowled me over but I was unable to capture it in a  photo. 


Four - Fenton House

This house has a wealth of treasures and a beautiful garden.  The door on to the balcony gives a surprise view of London in the distance.



Five - 2 Willow Road

Not far from Fenton House, is this 1939 modernist property by Ernö Goldfinger.  I think we need to look through the windows to the inside for this property as there are plenty of interesting designs and artistically arranged artworks to see, including items by Henry Moore and Bridget Riley.  We'd need a ladder though!



Apart from Blenheim, the properties are now National Trust, do have a look at the links to see more about them as indeed they are feasts for the eye.

Thanks for calling in.

Cheerio


34 comments:

  1. I love unusual Windows! Thank you for that post. Have a great weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt you'll find all sorts of interesting ones on your trip. x

      Delete
  2. What a great post Karen and yes, I see sleepy owls too. Have wanted to see the Goldfinger house for ages but not managed to fly past yet. Great 5 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hampstead is a bit awkward to get to, but worth the trip. x

      Delete
  3. Lovely windows and views. I saw the red house on Dan Cruikshank's architecture programe last night, I'd love to visit it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you, I must have a look on iPlayer. It's another place that is a bit off the beaten track. :-)

      Delete
  4. A great set of photos highlighting windows and the different styles of architecture. It's good when you can visit a building and take photos of the interiors and the views from the windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all places let you photo the inside which is annoying as it helps me remember the bits I particularly enjoyed.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the great set of window photos. My favourite has to be The Red House. There is just something about it and the shape of the windows that appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful isn't it. The garden is also very pretty but I didn't take that many photos of it unusually!

      Delete
  6. What a fantastic post! A great idea to give us a glimpse through other people's windows. I think I like Fenton House best, though I wouldn't mind having Scotney Castle's view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes places give you a complete surprise and far exceed expectations and Fenton House was one of those.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea for a post! Love each one...Red House though has always been one of my favorite places, since I love the Arts & Crafts movement so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great house, my photos of the inside are all a bit blurred as I couldn't use a flash which is a shame as I think you might have liked to see inside.

      Delete
  8. I loved seeing these historical properties and the different styles of architecture. I agree with you about the windows; they do look like owls! Wishing you a wonderful weekend, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some lovely places about aren't there. x

      Delete
  9. They are all fascinating buildings but I think my favourite has to be the Red house. I would love to visit it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inside it is just as interesting with patterned ceilings made by transferring the pattern by using dots to mark where the lines should go.

      Delete
  10. Lovely post! History and views of windows and through them. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so good at pulling these groups of things together! A great post with lovely contrasts between the different styles of windows. I really like the look of 2 Willow Road. Thank you for your support of Five On Friday, I so appreciate it!!! Have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure! It keeps me on my toes trying to think of something to write about! x

      Delete
  12. I am a huge William Morris fan so loved your first house (just visited Blenheim a few weeks ago, actually!) especially. Lots more items to add to my visiting list for the next time I'm in the UK. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just so much to see isn't there! Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  13. What an interesting post showcasing different style of windows. Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely idea for a post. They look like great properties to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There are so many lovely places aren't there.

      Delete
  15. Great post,enjoyed the views. Haven't visited any of the houses, someday maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a clever way you've arranged this post. I envy you the proximity to so many wonderful places of historical and architectural interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we are really lucky that they have been looked after so the ordinary mortal can dream! :-)

      Delete