Friday, 24 June 2016

Five on Friday - Music

Hello

Thank you for calling in.  Do follow the link to Amy's Love Made My Home blog to find the Five on Friday extravaganza for this week.

One - Spider Silk Violin

Luca Alessandrini, a postgraduate student at the Dyson School of Design Engineering at Imperial College, has created a violin made of silk, incorporating three strands of golden spider silk from an Australian Golden Orb spider.  Spider silk is one of the strongest materials in the world which resonates to signal to spiders that a prey has been caught. Using the silk in the violin allows the acoustics to be customised to achieve the required sound of the violin. It certainly sounded good on the Radio. Here's a link with more information.



Two - The Proms

Every year when the Proms begin at the Royal Albert Hall in London, I think it can't be that time of year already! Well, Prom 1 is on 15th July and 90 concerts will follow until 10th September when the Last Night of the Proms and Proms in the Park take place. You can buy tickets now or just turn up on the night and queue (Promming) for standing tickets at only £6 each.  For the first time this year, some Promming tickets will be on sale online on the day. It's a good fun experience if you live nearby and like classical music but some concerts are shown on TV.


Three - Glastonbury

We've had so much rain that the organisers of the famous Glastonbury Festival, this weekend's celebration of music headlined by Adèle, asked people not to come early as the site is so muddy that two of the three car parks are closed causing an eleven hour traffic jam. Nightmare!




Four - Animation

This is a lovely short animation.



Five -  I'll let you sing your own song as I can't think of a fifth item! Altogether now, One, two, three, GO . . . ha ha

Have a good week


Cheerio

38 comments:

  1. The silk violin is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd never think it was silk would you.

      Delete
  2. Ha! You hum it and I will sing it! I am looking forward to watching Adele tomorrow night. That violin looks beautiful, I bet it sounds wonderful. Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was brilliant wasn't she. The crowd looked great with their torches alight. x

      Delete
  3. Can I recite a poem instead? You really don't want to hear me singing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a wonderful little short. I won't be singing. Won't want to scare the neighbours!

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha the animation is lovely isn't it. Thanks :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the proms, particularly the last night. You can tell the year is whizzing round when they arrive. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They play some great pieces on the last night and it's all so informal with the hooting etc. Great fun x

      Delete
  6. The silk violin is incredible and I would love to see it. Think I shall hum and dance in the rain as it pouring down again here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've all had far too much rain now! :-)

      Delete
  7. What a lovely post!
    Have a happy weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am singing in my office while I work. Lovely post. I enjoyed all the fun events you listed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A silk violin, now that is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how people get these ideas! :-)

      Delete
  10. A silk violin - I had no idea such a wonderful thing existed.

    I'll read aloud. Nobody wants me to sing! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely, entertaining post. The violin is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is definitely a rainy year for almost everyone. so enjoyable when compared to years of drought. thanks for sharing these issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be true, we'd definitely be complaining much louder if we didn't have any rain. :-)

      Delete
  13. Silk violin ... wow! Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the interesting violin link and the beautiful animation link. I enjoyed viewing/listening to them! 5. La, la, la :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved number 5. It fits right in with the quote I'm using on my blog on Sunday.

    "Life is a song, and you get to make up the melody". From an unknown source, but don't you just love it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's great, thanks for leaving a message. :-)

      Delete
  16. A great post of culture!! My song - The sun has got his hat on? I wish he would put it on and come out and shine!! Beautiful summer delights! I am sorry to be so late visiting, we had a minor domestic drama yesterday - nothing serious in the end, all ok - but I didn't get a change to do any blogging. Thank you so much for taking part in Five On Friday, I do appreciate it! Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I hope all's well by now. We really could do with the sun putting his hat on and maybe getting his tennis racket out for next week too. x

      Delete
  17. What a beautiful post! Love the short animation video.
    The soft sound and graceful melody. I have been a piano teacher. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely isn't it. Many thanks :-)

      Delete
  18. Every year I say I must go to Glasto but I sitting here watching Coldplay on the telly without muddy feet! Last night of the Proms came to Melbourne it was a sell-out, they had the last night every night for a week!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last night is such great fun with all the hooting and the carry on, fancy it being on for a week! x

      Delete
  19. Both the Proms and Glastonbury are markers in the calendar aren't they? I can't believe we're already at Wimbledon - the weather is up to its usual tricks, hopefully there'll be some tennis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tennis has been quite disrupted today, good job they've got a roof.

      Delete