Friday, 10 June 2016

Five on Friday Back in Guildford

Hello

Five on Friday this week sees us back in Guildford. Having already done a few Guildford posts already, I didn't think there would be anything left to show you but, would you believe it, there is!

One - North Surrey Group of the Society of Designer Craftsmen

In  Guildford House, we happened upon an exciting display of crafts. Mavis Walker's textile chess set stole the show. What a lot of time she must have spent creating the pieces which apparently look like members of the Group. It won the Quilt Creations category at the NEC Festival of Quilts.



Other work exhibited was by Sandra Hurll, Naomi Beevers, Fiona Bryer, Judy Dibiase, Alex Duncan, Silke Espinet, Joanna Lloyd, Yumiko Reynolds, Ande Treharne and Stephanie Wright.



Two - Wilderness

It's particularly wonderful on the towpath with all the wildflowers and insects. There's wild angelica and lots of black winged, shiny turquoise bodied dagonflies whizzing about - you'll have to zoom in on the second photo where I managed to capture one but only half a duck. It's not easy you know!




Three - Castle

There are cows in the Castle grounds, eek! Raising money for charity. The poor gardeners have prepared the flower beds for summer but have yet to plant all the pelargoniums and marigolds. Their tributes to The Queen looked magnificent.






Four - Cow and Gate

The Three Pigeons Pub had a sign outside. The well known Company Cow and Gate was started near the pub.




Five - Allen House Park

We found a new park - not only did it have a Jabberwocky maze but it also had the air vents from a maze of tunnels 50feet below which formed air raid shelters. How could I have missed this before?







Many thanks to Amy for the link-up and to you for visiting.

Have fun.

28 comments:

  1. It's funny how we think we know a place so well and then stumble upon something new. Crazy but wonderful at the same time that there IS always something else to discover or learn x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just have to keep those eyes peeled don't you! x

      Delete
  2. There is always something new to learn about isn't there? Love the cows! I assume because of the Cow and Gate connecton? The Three Pigeons pub looks fascinating. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't really thought about a connection with Cow &Gate but maybe you are right. There are 15 cows spread over Surrey and into London - that doesn't sound right! - so there could be another reason. :-)

      Delete
  3. Guildford looks like a fabulous place. Love the cows in the castle and that ancient pub window. Have a good weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a bit of everything there which is nice. x

      Delete
  4. so much unexplored space below ground it is unreal! If only people knew what was beneath their feet lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And such a long way down too. :-)

      Delete
  5. I like the cows. We went to Norwich for a weekend last year to see similar dragons, and to Cirencester to see hares the year before. Wonderful experience. I think there should be more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's become quite a 'thing' these days but if it raises some money, that's great. Where do they all end up though?!

      Delete
  6. Oh I love it when I stumble across new things in Liverpool too. Oh Cow and Gate was literally a life saver when both our girls were little, who knew it came from Guildford. The flowers at the castle look lovely, it puts my planting that I have to do into perspective. Have a lovely weekend Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit disappointed as a lot of the flower beds were empty but then I could see the flowers on their way. Next time they'll be spectacular! x

      Delete
  7. Great to find somewhere new! When my Mum and I went to Colchester last year we 'rediscovered' an old abbey we had forgotten about. Quite interesting as it was only a hop, skip and jump from the down centre but we'd missed it for years!

    I love the cows. Norwich had dragons one year and Bury St.Edmunds had wolves last year. Children could follow the trails and find them all around town.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny isn't it, we must have walked past these places for years! The park near Colchester castle is lovely isn't it. :-)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful post. There is always something else to learn about the city where we live. Loved the cows. We did something similar here many years ago. I still come across them and like the ones in your area, they were done as a fund raiser. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good idea isn't it. I've seen elephants and eggs in London, great fun. You too. :-)

      Delete
  9. I haven't been to Guildford for many years, I did my Army training there back in 1975. I don't suppose anything would be the same now. A great five.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of it is still the same which is good. I miss that lovely bakers that used to be at the top of the hill though - they used to make such delicious scones. Thanks

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed your Guildford post, a place I know a little, two of my Great Aunt's lived there and we used to visit from time to time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice place, not too big but with a lovely river. x

      Delete
  11. Love the chess set, how marvelous. Have never visited Guilford, but it looks like a place I'd like to.
    Mazes! Oh I do love mazes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could see over the top of this maze, not to taxing but fun for the children to scoot about.

      Delete
  12. I only know Guildford a very little bit and didn't know any of these things or places about it. So it was really interesting to see it! Thank you! Thank you for taking part in Five On Friday. I hope you have a great weekend! xx p.s. I was experimenting to see if I could link my own post as I might change things up in the future also it means that I can tweet it, but I am not sure that is a great advantage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are getting so modern Amy with all your technical innovations! Thanks for the link-up, it's always good fun. x

      Delete
  13. I'm loving being here for the Queens birthday, you're right there is so much around that is wonderful to see. although it has to be said that back in Oz in Victoria, we have a days holiday on Monday to celebrate, how come you Guys don't?!!
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're having fun, it's so colourful isn't it. Shame the weather is a bit hit and miss, but then it keeps us all on our toes. Trooping the Colour is dry so far so that's good. No holidays for us but then we've just had one. x

      Delete
  14. The exhibit you attended looks fabulous with all the creations. And, I loved seeing the photos of the beautiful gardens and parks. Enjoy your Sunday. Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed seeing our local area. Have fun x

      Delete