Saturday, 7 May 2016

Windsor - Queen Mary's Dolls House

Hello

Thanks for visiting and for all your lovely messages.

Queen Elizabeth II celebrated her 90th birthday in Windsor Castle the other week so I decided to take a trip there myself and see if the celebrations were still in full swing!

My entrance ticket to the Castle is valid until May as it lasts for a year and I wanted to visit at least four times to get my money's worth! My other visits are under the Windsor label above.

I thought I'd take in Queen Mary's Dolls' House this time which is kept in a darkened room. The sides are open all the way round so you can see into each tiny room, not so tiny really as it is 5 foot high.  The first thing I noticed were the cars parked outside - not just any old cars,  Rolls Royce, Daimler and others with their own petrol pumps and garage.




I found these photos on the internet as you can't take your own photos.


At first glance the house appears remarkable but when you realise that it was designed by Lutyens, has hot and cold running water running through tiny pipes, electricity, working lifts, flushing lavatories, books specially written by famous authors of the day and in fact furnishings made by the best craftsmen and artists but in a scale of 1:12, the house takes on a spectacular appearance.

Each of the thousands of items in the house are scaled down models of the real thing - the cellar has miniature bottles of the finest wine, there are tiny tins of lifebuoy and sunlight soap, real foodstuffs in the cupboards like Coleman's mustard and even a copy of the crown jewels with real diamonds in the strongroom. It is an incredible achievement and a snapshot of royal life in the 1920s. This blog has a lot of photos and information if you would like to see more.

Viewing the Dolls' House behind the glass panel is understandably all you can do but it would be fantastic to marvel over each tiny item more closely. What a wonderful project to coordinate.

Coincidentally, my friend has kindly lent me a book called Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey and when I returned home and opened the book, out fell a ticket to Windsor Castle which must have been used as a bookmark.  How strange is that!

Cheerio


14 comments:

  1. Well you know how much I love these Windsor posts. It must be almost 30 years since I last saw the Dolls' House. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs T, glad you're still enjoying them x

      Delete
  2. This is fascinating. I always admired playhouses and miniatures but to think this is a truly miniature home in all ways is quite amazing. Yesterday my daughter and I were at a quaint gift house/garden store and there were lots of miniature items to buy for fairy gardens. Of course, they were poorly made but still charming. Enjoy your day, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun, it's amazing what you can find these days. I think that's the impressive bit about the dolls house, everything being so authentic. Have fun. x

      Delete
  3. It is an amazing house to have real items in it with running water and flushing loos too. Thanks for sharing your visit with us. I'm going to follow your link to see more:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the exciting thing about it, it's a real house but just smaller! :-)

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic dolls house, I would love to go and see this. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be better to play with it! x

      Delete
  5. It is incredible!!! Thank you for sharing more about it, I so enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, the house is such an achievement. x

      Delete
  6. Good point about the ticket being valid for a year. Last June I collected my daughter and her Aussie friend from the Heathrow and we literally went straight to Windsor Castle. As we arrived the Guards were marching down the street outside - it was a perfect introduction to England. We loved the dolls house too, it is great to visit with you again!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's thrilling seeing the guards marching up the street with the band, so exciting every time. x

      Delete
  7. Windsor and Windsor Castle was always at the top of our list of places to go with my Italian relatives when they come over for a holiday. The doll's house is something that I'll never forget. It must have been wonderful to have had the privilege to make and add items to each room and as a Royal to have actually had access to. Being behind glass as it is now is not quite the same, but fascinating none the less. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure, glad it brought back a few memories. It must have been fantastic dealing with the top craftsmen of the day. It's a real snapshot of the times. :-)

      Delete