Thursday, 19 May 2016

Newbury Wharf

Hello

Thanks for visiting.

With the rain pouring down, Kate Atkinson's God in Ruins on my lap and my sunglasses hopefully in my bag, the train chugged off towards Newbury. We passed Newbury Racecourse station which is full of elegant ladies in fancy hats when the races are on - no horses running today.  Not far from Newbury station, the River Kennet and the Kennet and Avon Canal were packed with swans, doves, ducks and pigeons who made a bee-line for me as I reached in my bag for my camera. Sorry guys, no food for you. 






The Wharf itself has a number of old buildings which have been turned into a museum and canal trust café.

It's all very convenient with a large park and the shops all within a stone's throw of each other.





Had the weather been nicer, I would be treating you to views of the town from Donnington Castle, high up on a hill but that will have to wait until there are blue skies again.

Cheerio

7 comments:

  1. Lovely photos of Newbury. My step-sister went to the Mary Hare School for the Deaf there in the 1950s:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fingers crossed for blue skies again soon. Lovely photos xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We miss them when they disappear, don't we. x

      Delete
  3. That looks an interesting place to explore, Karen. Did you check out the cafe for scones? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my cake at the Needlework Archive and for some unknown reason they didn't have any. x

      Delete
  4. I love canals and canal lochs. Thank you for the photos. Are you enjoying the latest Kate Atkinson?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good, I haven't got very far though. I've enjoyed all her other books though.

      Delete