Friday, 6 May 2016

Five on Friday - Windsor One Week On

Hello

How nice to see you

I've been back to Windsor just in time for this week's Five on Friday. Don't forget to visit Amy's blog to see what everyone else has been up to.

One - Flags

Flags were still fluttering in the breeze (sometimes screeching in the gale!) one week after the excitement of the Queen's 90th birthday celebrations - there are going to be a few more events later in the Spring.



Two - Walking Around the Town


This walkway was placed around the town in September 2015 to mark the Queen becoming the longest reigning Monarch. It is 6.373 km in length symbolically representing one more day than the length of Queen Victoria's reign i.e. 63 years 7 months and 3 days.


Three - Inside the Castle Grounds








The castle looked stunning in the sun, most of the crowds had been and gone last week. I'm glad they are going to improve visitor facilities as I would really have liked to buy a cup of coffee but there are no caf├ęs.

Four- Inside the Castle

This time my visit included a look at Queen Mary's Dolls House, which I will post about tomorrow but I also had another wander round the State Apartments, the Shakespeare Exhibition, where excitingly the first, second and third folios of his work were on display, and St Georges Chapel to admire the John Piper window.
Queen Mary's copy of Shakespeare's Merry Wives of Windsor, photo taken from BBC website

Five - Travel

I don't think I will be returning to Windsor any time soon especially after all the palaver getting there on the bus. I was expecting as much as the number of buses have been cut down severely due to a different company taking over and there being no reciprocal arrangement between the two bus companies left. Irritating!

Back home past Legoland



Replica of a steam train, originally part of a Madame Tussaud's Sixty Glorious Years exhibition in Windsor and Eton station in the 1980/90s.

Maybe I should catch the train, not this one though!


Have a good week.
Cheerio

34 comments:

  1. I remember the folks house do much. As a child I was amazed that it was so much bigger than me. Have been to Windsor many times either got shopping, theatre occasionally in to the cattle and the chapel bug not since I was a child have I gone back to see Queen Mary's dolls house, perhaps I should. You chose a great day weather wise to visit too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect you'd think the dolls house looks smaller now than it used to! The river and Eton are also good. x

      Delete
  2. What a shame about the bus schedules and the different companies not working together it does make life difficult and uncertain for travellers. Your photos of Windsor and the castle are lovely. I remember visiting in the early 70s and going in the castle but can't remember the doll's house so I'm looking forward to your post about that:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irritating isn't it. Thanks glad you like them, you can't go wrong really with a castle like that and the colourful guards. x

      Delete
  3. Windsor is lovely and worth the bus rides I'm sure. When I was young we always seemed to head there around Easter and look to see if the flag was flying above the castle to say the queen was in residence. I look forward to seeing the dolls house. Have a sunny weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, it does look spectacular in the sun, you can see for miles from the top. I'm sure I went up the round tower when I was younger but it's closed now. x

      Delete
  4. We always enjoyed a trip to Windsor when we lived that way and also when I was a child. The doll's house was something I remember well. It's a shame about the transport set up making it more difficult for visitors to get there by bus. The photos of the castle in the sunshine are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda glad they brought back a few good memories for you. :-)

      Delete
  5. I have visited Windsor many years ago, such a beautiful place to visit. It must be frustrating not having connections with other bus companies, such a shame that public transport is sadly lacking. Looking forward to your post about the dolls house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame when it used to be quite a good service but there we are, changes, changes. Thanks :-)

      Delete
  6. That is an impressive castle indeed. Queen Mary's Shakespeare looks great. It's exciting to see that old books. Looking forward to your post on the dolls' houses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much history and everything is of the best quality, great to be able to see it. :-)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for taking us on a tour. It's lovely, and something I hope to see in person one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite spectacular, if you get the chance. :-)

      Delete
  8. Is that Shakespeare cover embroidered? It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it wonderful and it looks brand new even though she got it in 1917.

      Delete
  9. Sorry you had such a terrible time with the buses. It looks like you had a marvelous time once you got there. Thanks for taking us on your trip (minus the buses!).

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so annoying but I only had myself to blame and should have checked before I went! :-)

      Delete
  10. A number of years since we've visited Windsor, enjoyed your photos. I think I've seen Queen Mary's dollhouse, but it wasn't at Windsor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if it has been exhibited elsewhere I'll have to look it up. :-)

      Delete
  11. Fantastic photos of Windsor. Looking forward to your next instalment about Queen Mary's dolls house. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was wonderful to go to the castle with you and to see more of it. I am looking forward to the post about the dolls house as that has always fascinated me and I have never seen it. Thank you for taking us along - especially as it was a difficult journey getting there! Thank you for joining Five On Friday this week, hope you have an enjoyable weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that the entrance ticket lasts for a year so you can pop in and out when the fancy takes you. x

      Delete
  13. I have never visited Windsor before so it was lovely to have a tour through your photos. Definitely another place to add to my ever growing list of places to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, it's a proper castle just as you imagine one to be. :-)

      Delete
  14. Love seeing your pretty photos and getting a view of the area near you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you enjoyed them, I can't go out of the house without my camera and take too many photos, so I'm glad you are there to look at them! :-)

      Delete
  15. Fascinating bits of history - Queen Mary's copy of Shakespeare's play is so beautiful. Windsor would be a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very popular with tourists from all over the world, it's a beautiful place. :-)

      Delete
  16. Windsor is looking lovely with all the flags fluttering, I'm hoping to catch some of the Queens birthday excitement when I'm over - we get a days holiday to celebrate here in Australia but I will miss it!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few extra activities happening, hopefully you'll be over in time. x

      Delete
  17. Fab photos and it is looking lovely with the flags out. Such a fab place, I don't think I've been inside though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to go back in the rain and see if it still looks good. :-)

      Delete