Friday, 13 May 2016

Five on Friday - Creations in the Landscape

Hello

Thanks for visiting, yet another week has zoomed by! I've been fascinated by a couple of TV programmes this week - Forest, Field & Sky : Art in the Landscape and What do Artists do all day? : Katie Paterson  - highlighting artists working within the landscape and my five this week record some of their work in case you didn't see the programmes yourselves.


One - Katie Paterson - Hollow


Wood from 10,000 different trees from all over the globe spanning millions of years, from fossilised trees to the oldest tree to trees on the verge of extinction, were collected to make the sculpture for Bristol University. Sunlight streams into the mini forest. Follow the link for more info and photos.

Two - David Nash - Ash Dome


Planted in 1977, these ash trees create a dome and are still growing today. Here's a link with more information.

Three - Charles Jencks



The Garden of Cosmic Speculation in Scotland.

Four - Andy Goldsworthy




Five - Richard Long


Art made by walking in the landscape.


If you click on the links you will be amazed at all the work these sculptors have created from natural materials in the landscape, some work lasting only long enough for a photo before being washed away, ice melting, collapsing.

So inspiring.

As always many thanks to Amy for the Five on Friday link up.

Have a great week!

Cheerio

33 comments:

  1. I think I like Charles Jenks 'The Garden of Cosmic Speculation in Scotland ' best of all. What amazing shapes. Thank you for a fascinating five. B X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's other worldly isn't it! Glad you enjoyed it Barbara. I must get cracking and find a painting for you as May is rushing along! X

      Delete
  2. I saw the 'Art in the Landscape' programme. It was wonderful. I've been in the James Turrell Skyspace instalation at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park which was featured. I loved the Garden of Cosmic Speculation and the Ash Dome too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to the YSP, that's another fabulous place. I could have stared at the sky in the sky space for ages. I'm so glad you watched it and enjoyed it. :-)

      Delete
  3. I missed these programmes so thanks for highlighting them as I can catch up on iplayer. I would love to see the art in situ especially the Ash Dome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed these programmes so thanks for highlighting them as I can catch up on iplayer. I would love to see the art in situ especially the Ash Dome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks so elegant but it's in a secret place to keep it safe. Hope you enjoy them. :-)

      Delete
  5. I didn't see these programs and so pleased you have shown us some of the content, amazing images. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few other artists as well but I couldn't fit them in the Five! x

      Delete
  6. I didn't see these programmes so it was wonderful of you to highlight these amazing creations. I am going to see if I can catch up with iplayer. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy them, I thought they were brilliant! You too. :-)

      Delete
  7. There is a collection of David Nash works near me called the Noon Columns. They represent different landscape features across the National Forest and each one has a slot in it through which the sun shines at true noon. I love this kind of art. Thanks for sharing.
    https://www.nationalforest.org/involved/noon/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to have a look at that, thanks. I did see him when he did his exhibition at Kew, which was wonderful. I did a blog post about it. :-)

      Delete
  8. The Garden of Cosmic Speculations is amazing! Such creativity and clear ondulating lines, wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So different isn't it. Pity it's such a long way away. :-)

      Delete
  9. That garden oh my, I had to see where it was, need a trip to Edinburgh now... Had not heard let alone seen any of these programmes so your post today is an absolute treasure trove, thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good programme, all the better as I just happened upon it. x

      Delete
  10. Wow really beautiful. I love the one in Scotland. How gorgeous that is! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be good to see the real thing wouldn't it. :-)

      Delete
  11. Fascinating art creations you have shared today! I especially like the one in Scotland. Wishing you a wonderful day, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good aren't they, I'll have to try and visit some x

      Delete
  12. Stunning - love that Ash dome, beautiful. Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the work seems awe inspiring. fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful creative minds there are in this world! A great five!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some rather interesting pieces of art here. Aren't people creative?

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where they get their ideas! :-)

      Delete
  16. Fascinating! I learn so much about art from you! Thank you for joining Five On Friday, I hope you are having a good weekend. Sorry to be late visiting, I have been otherwise occupied as I said in my post. xx

    ReplyDelete