Tuesday, 17 May 2016

Farnham Again

Hello

Thanks for calling in.

When I wrote my previous post on Farnham, see the label above, I thought I really ought to go back again and take a few more photos as it is a really pretty place. So I did! Trouble is I liked the things I took the photos of before! Ha ha!

Anyway, walking around the town, Castle Street has some beautiful houses, the street even has a plaque to say so.







At the top of Castle Street is the Castle!  It's a Conference centre but English Heritage look after The Keep and Visitor Centre. It's great for a stroll with lovely views and flowers - a cracking peony, leaves dipped in paint (not really) and a secret door. Ooh!











Back in the town, Farnham Museum was new to me this time. The best bit is the actual house it's located in and the lovely long garden. The house was built for John Thorne, a maltser,  hop merchant and gentleman in 1718. He owned the George Inn but when the hop harvests failed he became bankrupt. The house passed through the hands of other brewers and painter Stephen Elmer until the 1800s when the Willmer sisters opened a school there. In the 1870s several years after the school closed, it was owned by a dentist. By the 1930s after changing hands again, it was offered to the Canadian Army stationed in the area. Canon Crum took over the house in 1948 and after his death in 1958 it was made available to the Local Authority and became a museum a couple of years later.




The museum garden has a gallery and looks as if it is used by primary school children for their history lessons.

A lovely place to sit and cogitate. Sadly, no café though!

Enjoy your day.

Cheerio

6 comments:

  1. What abeautifu place Farnham looks. Lovely buildings especially the museum and its garden:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to have a look inside some of them wouldn't it! :-)

      Delete
  2. There are some beautiful buildings in Farnham aren't there, it must be a lovely place to live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very pretty with all mod cons and a river too! x

      Delete
  3. Farnham looks like an attractive town with some beautiful buildings and places of interest such as the museum and garden. I can't remember ever stopping there. Instead just passing through, but the high street reminds me of Alresford. Farnham must be bigger, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Alresford, although I think I went there on the bluebell line train once. Farnham is a classic market town isn't it.

      Delete