Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Seeing the Light on Waterloo Bridge

Hello

You've popped in! You've made my day!

I feel a few songs coming on today. How about Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks or Waterloo by Abba?  I was standing on Waterloo Bridge over the Thames for the photos below. There's always something wonderful about the sunlight on this particular bridge, I don't know why. Unless it's raining of course!

Looking over to one side, you can see St Paul's Cathedral, the Shard, the Cheese Grater, the Gherkin, the Oxo Tower, the Walkie Talkie, Canary Wharf, Tate Modern, etc - all in no particular order! Click on the photos to zoom in.







On the other side, there's the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben and the London Eye amongst other things.


Getting off the bridge on the North Bank and turning left, you'll come across Cleopatra's needle and two Sphinxes on the Embankment roughly opposite the Royal Festival Hall then the London Eye a bit further down.



Somerset House is right next to the bridge on the right of the North Bank. There is always something going on there. This time the fountains were dancing up and down. I just missed the photography exhibition but I did look round the Terrace Rooms at the free event Venturing Beyond Graffiti and Everyday Utopias of the Street which featured allsorts of odd things like painted li-lo's, perhaps to be expected by the title of the event! Still, there were a couple of exhibits which could well have been turned into quilts as the colours went so well together - you never know when you might be inspired!




So lovely to sit in such a nice place with a cup of coffee from Tim's Kitchen too.

Cheerio

8 comments:

  1. What lovely photos of London and the Thames. So much to see and do. Enjoy. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, you can cover so much ground in London can't you! x

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos! Waterloo Sunset sums up the 60s for me, loved the Kinks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been going round and round in my head but has recently been supplanted by Victoria Wood and her Woman's Weekly! :-)

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, Ohhh I'm excited I'm coming to London in June and your photos are a wonderful tease of what is ahead, could you order sunshine for me too!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope the weather behaves itself in June! I'm sure you'll have a good time and I look forward to your A to Z of London. x

      Delete
  4. Great to take a tour along the Thames with you! Looks like you had great weather for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely chose the right day to go! x

      Delete