Sunday, 3 April 2016

Flower Museum

Hello

We're still in Hastings blogwise!

Imagine my surprise to find a working flower museum tucked in a tiny , tiny shop in the Old Town. The largest collection of artificial flower and leaf making tools in Europe, many still in use, are on display. In fact, there are about 10,000 tools many made from moulds of plants and flowers brought back from all over the world.

Originally a family business in London making items for Victorian and Edwardian fashions and hats, the company came to Hastings in 1910 making items for the bridal trade and today they are closely involved with the film, TV and theatre business making flameproofed leaves and petals. They made thousands of red rose petals for Gladiator, a full sized vineyard for Reign of Fire, vast quantities of citrus leaves and twigs for The Kingdom of Heaven as well as items for musicals and operas. A fascinating place and totally jam-packed with unusual items.















While we were there, another batch of white flower shapes were being punched out from several layers of material. I wonder where they were headed.

See you soon.


9 comments:

  1. Now I definitely have to visit Hastings! I would LOVE to visit a flower museum! What a fascinating place. Thank you for sharing your posts about this lovely place - glad you had a happy break there.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, it's amazing what's out there when you mooch about. x

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! I do really love a little, local museum. The Best Beloved and I have often joked that I shall open my own, based on my fossilised dinosaur bone and my grandfather's WW1 gift tin from Princess Mary, but I think I need more exhibits first! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun wouldn't it, a good excuse to collect more things too. x

      Delete
  3. What a great find! It looks fascinating:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much to see in a couple of tiny rooms. :-)

      Delete
  4. Amazing!!! I saw this place on a TV programme and was so surprised to see it. I don't think that people realise that many film and tv show flowers are artificial and that they are specially made. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a labour intensive process as well, especially if you are making a vineyard. I'm not sure I'd have the patience. x

      Delete
  5. I must take my Mum here on my next visit, she loves all things flowery and the store carries her name! My grandmother who always had the most amazing flower arrangements always used to mix real with some artificial flowers and no-one ever guessed!
    As you say this would have been a fascinating place to visit, I'm happy to have joined you :)
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete