Friday, 8 April 2016

Five on Friday - Pottering

Hello

Welcome to the blog where today we're linking up with Amy from Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.

As the last couple of Fridays I have taken you off to different towns for a look round, this week we'll be staying home to see what's up.

One - Brochure

A couple of weeks ago we received some direct mail, as you do, but instead of flinging the catalogue into the bin, I have kept it as whoever made the brochure has done a colourful and well presented job.  Of course I can't recommend the company as I haven't bought anything.






Two - Chillies

Our chillies are already producing fruit even though the seeds were only planted in the Autumn.  The Spring seeds have now germinated as Mr CK has sprung into action.






The last pot has a tomato in and sits with its chums on the windowcil but the potatoes and other seeds are under the sofa in the dark trying to get going.

Three - Cross Stitch

I'm having another go with my cross stitch which has been in the making for a couple of years, mainly it's been hiding behind the chair while I've been making other things.  I am now half way through so there's no hope of finishing soon. It's a haberdashery shop.




Four - Cooperation



In the garden, the pigeons have been enjoying the crumbs dropped when the great spotted woodpecker feasts on the fat balls and peanuts. The squirrels are also eating madly and keep doing that thing with their tails, wiggling it around and around, up and down, twitching and twitching. So funny!

Five - Books

I have been thoroughly enjoying my Anne Tyler books - Breathing Lessons, about the twists and turns of married life which had me laughing out loud at times, and A Spool of Blue Thread, about old age and family.  The accurate sense of character and circumstances  in both books just hits the spot.



That's my five for this week but I have a photo of a plant which has been grown from seed, something that was picked up from somewhere last year, it's labeled white but now it's just a mystery. Any ideas?




I hope you have a great week.

Thanks for calling in and your messages.

Bye for now

38 comments:

  1. ooh I wonder what the 'white' will be how exciting. This year I am so late to the game and have not planted any seeds at all yet! Only potatoes have gone into the ground, must pull my finger out. The only Anne Tyler I have read was Amateur Marriage and as I enjoyed it, perhaps I should read these too. Have a great week end x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been quite chilly really hasn't it. Hopefully the seeds will catch up with themselves during the year. We should have done the potatoes earlier but ate them all instead and now the new ones are taking ages to sprout! x

      Delete
  2. Oh I love fresh Chilli's, I really ought to get some started or I'm going to have to go without this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are heaps of different varieties too. :-)

      Delete
  3. Your chillies are doing really well, and the little seedlings too. The squirrels are funny at the moment aren't they? Rushing around and pinching the bird food. How wonderful to have a woodpecker in your garden. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. I'm sure the squirrels must be doing all that wggling for a reason! :-)

      Delete
  4. I've only just planted my chilli's hopefully they will grow as quickly as yours. I've never read any Anne Tyler's but I hear so many good reviews I think it's time I did. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect they will get cracking when we get some warmer weather. x

      Delete
  5. Your chillies look great! And I find the Astrantia photo in the brochure fabulous. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brochure pictures are really tempting! :-)

      Delete
  6. Those chillies are certainly growing fast. I have been looking at the Anne Tyler books recently, I have been tempted to download A Spool of Blue Thread but have so much reading to get through at the moment. It is definitely on my list though as I have heard so many good reviews about it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seem to be so many interesting books these days. x

      Delete
  7. You've encouraged me to try growing my own chillies!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! Do have a go as they are great to watch even if you don't like eating them! :-)

      Delete
  8. Those chillies are certainly impressive looking plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so colourful when they get going! :-)

      Delete
  9. The seedlings are doing great. I enjoyed your 5 things this week. I love the word pottering and use it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing quite like pottering! :-)

      Delete
  10. Ah I am envious and happy, that your seedlings are coming up. I will probably be buying plants for the garden again - I know shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the bird photo and am enjoying the springtimex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still a bit up and down weather-wise isn't it. x

      Delete
  12. The chilis look amazing! I love the bird photo, too. But I'm stumped as to what plant that is...Wishing you a fabulous weekend, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll recognise it when the flowers come out. Enjoy your week x

      Delete
  13. I'm very jealous of your chillies. I don't seem to be able to get them to flower. I get lots of leaves, but that's it. Well done on your crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame, we find they are fairly easy and just make sure they are kept in the warmth and light.:-)

      Delete
  14. It's always so exciting when our seedlings start to grow and here your chiles are about ready to eat! I like Anne Tyler, but Spool of Blue Thread wasn't a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I preferred Breathing Lessons or the Accidental Tourist. :-)

      Delete
  15. Five very good things from your week! The chillies are doing well aren't they. Hope you enjoy your cross stitch, glad to know that I am not the only one with odd projects tucked away. No idea I am afraid what your mystery plant is, hope that you find out! Thank you for taking part in Five On Friday, hope you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. Maybe you'll recognise the plant when the flowers come out. x

      Delete
  16. We grew chillies last year, they were looking great but tasted a bit bland. If you have any tricks to get them spicy, please do tell. I hope the mystery plant produces amazing flowers for you, soon. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of different types you could try with varying strengths and colours. Don't water them too much. Good luck! :-)

      Delete
  17. We love chilies. We only have grown jalapenos last summer. I made a soup with Poblano chilies yesterday...delicious. Hope you have a great harvest. Your cross stitch is lovely. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You can do a lot with the chillies too and they look so pretty too :-)

      Delete
  18. Wonderful plant photos, yours and those in the brochure. Your cross stitch looks lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. There really is nothing better than pottering is there? Although it's an easy way to lose time. Happy growing and happy stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's nice to have the time to do it though. :-)

      Delete