Friday, 15 April 2016

Five on Friday - Glass Fusing

Hello

Thanks so much for visiting. You're in luck as it's Five on Friday today and there's a whole heap of fun happening on Amy's blog. Do have a look.

Unexpectedly I've been on a glass fusing workshop this week. One minute I was up to my eyes in domestic chores and the next I was whisked along to a room of artistry and experimentation.

One - Design

Apart from the usual drawing equipment and safety information, the glass cutter and breakers can be seen at the top left, safety goggles must be worn. There's a small pot of glue and another with an oily sponge, just in case you were wondering!

Here's all the bits and bobs to get us going. Settling on a design and accurately drawing it on the sheet was the first thing. As it was Spring, I naturally decided on a Christmas tree and a field of poppies, trying to be realistic with a simple design .


Two - Glass Cutting

You need to have two pieces of glass per shape, something colourful for the design and then a clear piece to go over the top which combine to give the required thickness of the finished piece, allowing you to add some detail sandwiched between the two.  It's quite tricky using the glass cutter knowing just how much you need to press down, but if you get the right kind of squeak as you score the glass, you know it will break cleanly when you apply a small amount of pressure with the breakers/pliers.




Sometimes your cuts go a bit wobbly and you need to grind down the sticky out edges but this is easily achieved by using the Grinding Machine.


Three - Refreshments

You can easily become dehydrated as the time just whizzes by as you concentrate on your masterpiece. Make sure you clean up carefully after all that cutting and that the tea and biscuits are protected from all the shards of glass.


Four - The Fancy Bits

Squished in between the two glass pieces, you can go wild with decoration, although less is always more! One option is to put in some copper strips or stencil-cut shapes which will change colour when fired or you can paint on copper oxide which will look like blue bubbles. Small frits - various thicknesses of coloured glass or ground glass - can be sprinkled on but if using larger pieces you have to put them on the outer clear glass to prevent too much air getting in and spoiling the design during firing. Don't forget to put some glue under the bits and bobs so your decoration stays put when you carry it to the kiln.


Here's the copper strip and copper oxide painted on.

Frits

Copper 

Five - Firing

Once the masterpiece is complete, it goes into the kiln for 18 hours to fuse together.


Here:s a few pieces that had been made earlier.



This is my poppyfield ready for the kiln


and here are all our designs ready to be fired.



If my things don't explode, I'll show you in a week or so what they look like. Great fun. Next time I might attempt something more complicated.

Wishing you all a jolly week.

See you again soon.

28 comments:

  1. What a fascinating post. I bet it was great fun to do. I look forward to seeing it finished. Have a good weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! This needs a lot of patience. Me too looking forward to seeing the finished art pieces. Great weekend Karen!

    I have made tiny enamel key holders on copper plates. They were also burned in the oven and turned out great...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to do a blog post and put some photos on for us to see. :-)

      Delete
  3. What an interesting post and great photos. Your poppy field looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fascinating day you had. It looks as if a lot of skill and patience would be needed as well as tea and biscuits. Look forward to seeing what you produced:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you've got the hang of the cutting, it's not too tricky! :-)

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to have a go at a new craft! I think your poppies look very promising ad I look forward to seeing your finished results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! I think you could easily get hooked on it. :-)

      Delete
  6. How wonderful, its always a great adventure to try something new. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to learn about this process. It's very interesting and what a lot of work to it. I really like the pendents. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite fiddly but great fun :-)

      Delete
  8. oh dear oh dear oh dear. I hate to inform you Karen, but you are going to be hooked, I say again, hooked. I love glass fusing, its such great fun and although you put your pieces in you never really know exactly how they will turn out. Cannot wait to see end results, sure they will be great, the poppies look brilliant already

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed seeing all your glass which made me think I would have a go. x

      Delete
  9. This looks like a wonderful hobby! And, thank you for sharing all the steps to creating such beautiful pieces. I think this glass fusing would be great fun. Your poppies design looks so beautiful; I hope you will share the finished piece. My best to you, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully they will turn out OK otherwise I'll just have to go back and do it again! x

      Delete
  10. How wonderful being whisked away from domestic chores and look at you all ready for Christmas already!!! What fun, I would absolutely love to do this, can't wait to see the final result and what you will do with your Christmas tree? I would put it up somewhere now and take the rest of the year off, you're all set!!!
    Thanks so much for being such a lovely supporter of my blog this past week, I love having you along with me, we're half way there!!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed following your travels, it's like being on holiday. I'd better not get too carried away with my Christmas ornaments, they may just go splurge in the kiln. x

      Delete
  11. Such talent! Will eagerly await the results of your efforts from this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could happily while some time away in this workshop. Your poppy field looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd probably need a few weeks, the time just flies :-)

      Delete
  13. Wow, that looks great fun. Looking forward to seeing the results next week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful project! Beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness that looks like such fun! You can really let your creative side run wild - love that!! I love the creations you shared...your poppy field is especially adorable. ;)

    Blessings on your week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete