Friday, 29 April 2016

Five on Friday - Anish Kapoor

Hello

Thanks for calling in, I hope you've had a good week.

Listening to the radio on Monday gave me the idea for Five on Friday this week.  So without more ado, here are my five about Sculptor, Anish Kapoor, with photos of some of his work that I've seen in London over the years.

One - Anish Kapoor CBE RA
Born in India in 1954, he moved to Britain in the 1970s to study art.  He is known for his geometric and biomorphic shapes in monochromatic bright colours and highly polished stainless steel. He won the Turner Prize in 1991 and has exhibited extensively.



Two - Vantablack
Have you heard about Vantablack?  Anish Kapoor has the exclusive right to be able to use this black colour for his projects, but what is it?  According to Surrey NanoSystems:

What is Vantablack?

Vantablack is not a black paint, pigment or fabric, but is instead a functionalised ‘forest’ of millions upon millions of incredibly small tubes made of carbon, or carbon nanotubes. Each nanotube in the vantablack forest has a diameter of around 20 nanometres (that’s about 3,500 times smaller than the diameter of the average human hair), and are typically from around 14 microns to 50 microns long. A surface area of 1 cm2 would contain around 1,000 million nanotubes. 
On Radio 4's Start the Week programme on Monday, Anish Kapoor explained that, when applied as a patch to walls or floors, the black gives the illusion that the viewer is being sucked into a hole and that the black is not really there.

Using the new Vantablack, which absorbs 99.96% of all light, he is currently creating a sculpture which the viewer can enter, giving a scary experience where all sense of place and time is lost.  If this black is applied to a normal statue, all the details or folds just disappear and the statue will just seem to be in profile.

I haven't seen this but doesn't it look amazing!

Three - Red Wax
How time flies, it only seems like yesterday that we visited the 2009 Royal Academy of Arts exhibition and watched the red wax being fired through the doors and the huge block of wax travelling through the arched doorways. That pristine building covered in wax, would they ever get it clean again?  


Four - Highly Polished Stainless Steel
Outside the Royal Academy during his 2009 Exhibition.  You just can't resist a selfie in the shiny surface!




Five - ArcelorMittal Orbit
Built for the 2012 Olympic Games in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park this is the UK's tallest sculpture.  A slide is currently being installed around it which will whoosh people 76 metres downwards for a 40 second journey.





 I have included links on this page so you can have a look at more of his work.

That's it for today!  Do have a look at Amy's link-up for more posts.

Have a great week.

Cheerio

34 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I went to the Royal Academy Exhibition, I couldn't believe it was 2009 had to check my photos......yep.....where does the time go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's ridiculous isn't it! Good luck with all the clearing out. :-)

      Delete
  2. Vantablack sounds eerily scary! I love the stainless steel, wish I could have seen that. I will be looking into all your links. Thank you. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a really large stainless steel artwork in Chicago which looks good too. x

      Delete
  3. I went to the RA exhibition in 2009, I wondered about cleaning up all that wax too. I hadn't heard of vatnablack, it sounds like quite an experience, the closest thing to a black hole maybe.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was bad enough going into Antony Gormley's room of fog, Blind Light, but I think this would be even more scary. :-)

      Delete
  4. Wow! This was really interesting! Art meets science and technology.
    Thank you very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in very interesting times. Have fun :-)

      Delete
  5. I have never come across Vantablack before, sounds fascinating although quite scary at the same time. A great five.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does sound a bit scary. Thanks for your message. x

      Delete
  6. Thank you for another interesting post. I always learn so much from reading your blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Anish Kapoor's work. I didn't know about the black and I think I'd like to see something using it. It looks fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, though I'm not too sure about going in the room. :-)

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a black! And: I've never heard about Anish Kapoor, thanks for sharing.
    Only the red wax seems a little scary for me, criminal -
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been back to the RA since and can report it's all nice and clean again! Glad I wasn't the cleaner! :-)

      Delete
  9. That black sounds really odd indeed doesn't it, sort of like "dark matter" or something. Not sure how I feel about that! Thank you for joining Five On Friday, I hope you have a fun weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything looks in profile as all the light is absorbed, amazing, so different x

      Delete
  10. Anish Kapoor and Vantablack are completely new to me. That black sounds very technical. But I agree, the head statue is a triggery one. It looks like a black hole in the universe. And who wouldn't want a selfie beside those steel balls :) Art is amazing. Very interesting, thank you Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure. I think the black room will be a really scary experience, but so interesting. :-)

      Delete
  11. Lovely post - my favourite is the last one - it's huge too! During the Olympics we managed to get tickets to go up it and the views were fantastic. Have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Olympics were wonderful, the atmosphere, all those wild flowers, so exciting! :-)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing! I haven't heard of him. I love the polished steel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your message and for visiting the blog :-)

      Delete
  13. I have enjoyed looking at Anish Kapoor's work but never heard of Vantablack before. Thank you for a fascinating post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The art items you have shared are all amazing. Wow, such talent for these different venues. I always learn something of interest when I read your post. Wishing you a fun filled week, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, I'll have to get cracking with this week's five, won't I! x

      Delete
  15. Fascinating post, Katen, thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fascinating, espeically about the special black called Vantablack. I love the stainless steel sculptures in number four:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost as if the stainless steel isn't there either as it reflects all that's around it. :-)

      Delete
  17. Fascinating art pieces. Vantablack sounds rather spooky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it. It would be really interesting to have a look at it. :-)

      Delete