Saturday, 19 March 2016

Parks and Gardens Guildford

Hello

How nice to see you!

With the sun out and carrying my jacket for the first time this year, I ventured into Guildford with a few questions on my mind. What would the Council Spring planting look like this year? Would I be able to find the mysterious boarded river walk seen in a prize winning photo?

Last time I visited Guildford, I was told that Stoke Park was always well looked after by the Council so I set off to investigate and found a huge grassy area - 55 hectares in fact - full of football pitches, tennis courts, boating lakes, playground, mini golf and ornamental gardens, all overlooked by the Cathedral. Apart from a splendid  array of crocuses, there wasn't a great deal of colour. Too early in the year combined with the revamping of a large part of the garden. I'll have to go back in the summer as it looks as if it will be good.






Meanwhile back at the Castle, the planting was immaculate. Each bed had a ring of deep crimson primulas round the edge with wallflowers in the centre. This will be splendid in a few weeks. Daffodils cascaded down the castle slopes.






Next I took the escalator to the top of the House of Fraser department store to view the Jellicoe roof garden again, previously, here's my other blogpost, the gardener was busy tidying it up. Today, under perfect conditions, the garden sang out with joy.








Down by the River Wey, the river Navigations sparkled in the sun as I set off to find the riverside trails. Although a beautiful walk, I will have to return another day to find the boardwalks as they proved elusive. More googling required!







A great day with bags of potential for future visits. 20,000 steps today.

Cheerio for now.

9 comments:

  1. You are putting me to shame. I only managed 14000 on my best day this week. Your flowery walk looks lovely. Have a good weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only writing down the good scores though! x

      Delete
  2. Wow, 20,000 steps, think I have only managed that twice since having my fitbit. Beautiful spring flowers at the castle. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've done a great job though consistently getting over 10,000 while mine are all in fits and starts x

      Delete
  3. Oh! Happy memories of Guildford. I grew up not so far away and went to the college there. I may have spent (ahem) one or two lunchtimes in the Kings Head..... It's just up the road from the college. Bravo on the steps, hope you allowed yourself a cheese scone for that! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I've had one today. I was at the college 40 years ago. They used to sell marvellous iced buns! x

      Delete
  4. It's so beautiful what you shared with us. Such lovely gardens and settings. Sorry I'm late in commenting. I so enjoy reading your blog. Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, glad you enjoy all the bits and bobs :-)

      Delete
  5. It's so beautiful what you shared with us. Such lovely gardens and settings. Sorry I'm late in commenting. I so enjoy reading your blog. Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete