Monday, 8 February 2016

Summer Is Icumen In

Hello

Welcome and thanks for all your lovely messages. Much appreciated.

I know we're just into Spring but have you heard the song ' Summer Is Icumen In'? It carries on ' Loud Now Sing Cuckoo'.  It's a medieavil English Canon or round where someone starts off singing and then another joins in but at the beginning of the song so that the words overlap and others also join in at regular intervals and it ends up with each singer finishing the song until the last to join in finishes.


It was discovered in a manuscript dated between 1261-65 owned by one of three monks of Reading Abbey, possibly William of Winchester and is sometimes referred to as the Reading Rota, this round is unique to this collection. The original manuscript is now held in the British Library but you can see it online here as it has been digitised. Have a look to see the full song plus translation.

The round has also been used in various films and TV programmes including Shadow lands.

Reading Abbey has so many famous connections!

Cheerio



12 comments:

  1. How fascinating, thanks for the link. I have heard the song as I have a few Early Music CDs and I think it is on one of those:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a popular one isn't it. :-)

      Delete
  2. No, I have never hear that song! Thank you for sharing about it with us though! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the mice on bagpuss sang it as well, ha ha you'd probably recognise it if you heard it. x

      Delete
  3. That has brought back memories, used to play this on my recorder and we used to sing it in music lessons when I was in the top class of our primary school. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you've still got a recorder somewhere, I have. x

      Delete
  4. I remember learning to sing this in a choir (in Scotland!) when I was a child, once learned never forgotten. Lovely to learn more about it, thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like medieval music, and this one is a lovely song. I remember the mice in 'Bagpuss' sang their own version of it (showing my age here!). Interesting to hear of its connection with Reading. Thank you for sharing, and have a lovely week.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have look that up on YouTube! Have a great week. x

      Delete
  6. I was going to say is that the tune from Bagpuss, the mice were great! Interesting connection to Reading xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't really watch bagpuss very much though my daughter had a bagpuss bag. x

      Delete