Thursday, 11 February 2016

Joan Eardley

Hello

I've recently come across the Scottish Artist Joan Eardley and in particular her landscape paintings of the area around Catterline, south of Aberdeen in Scotland. It looks a beautiful part of the country, I've included a link and a video which show the area on bright sunny days.

When I was at Reading Museum recently, one of her dramatic landscapes was in the exhibition A Sense of Place and the more I looked at it, the more the lines of thick paint made me feel I was looking at the real place, the weather at that instant.

The BBC have also included her in the recent Story of Scottish Art  programme and on Coast too.


The Wave






Winter in Catteline
Born in 1921, Joan Kathleen Harding Eardley studied at Goldsmiths,  the Glasgow School of Art and Hospitalfield House. Whilst in Glasgow she painted townscapes and portraits of local street children. She had a cottage in Catterline where she painted the sea and landscape outdoors in all weathers. If she was in Glasgow when she heard that a storm was heading for Catterline, she would rush off to capture it on canvas. She died in 1963 and her work was highly acclaimed. She was a member of the Scottish Royal Academy.

I'm linking this post to Paint Monthly over on the Coastal Ripples blog.

Thanks as always for calling in.


9 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting on Paint Monthly. What a fantastic artist. I really love The Wave. What moody colour choices. Fantastic. Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not an artist I know, but I love her work from what you have shown! Happy Valentines! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting artist from a beautiful place! Love the soft colors of her paintings. x K

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting artist from a beautiful place! Love the soft colors of her paintings. x K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the privilege of being part of Joan Eardley's family by marriage and am delighted to let you know of a wonderful exhibition just opened at the National Galleries of Scotland Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh. "Joan Eardley - a Sense of Place" runs until 21 May 2017 and is well worth a visit - even from a long way away! Do try to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your message, I wish you good luck with the exhibition I'm sure it will be wonderful and if I am lucky enough to be in Scotland while it's on, I shall visit.

      Delete