Friday, 19 February 2016

Five on Friday - Wool

Hello

Welcome to Amy's Five on Friday Anniversary Special! One year already! Congratulations! So many people from all around the world have joined in.

Quite a lot of us have a woolly project on the go, so this week I'm looking back at some of the people and their websites that have made me pick up a ball of wool after many years of other things.

One - Loani Prior

A friend took me to Wisley Gardens and whilst browsing in their bookshop I noticed a book Really Wild Tea Cosies by Loani Prior.  It was really quirky with bags of colour and I just couldn't resist it! I learnt how to knit in the round and then after a while, I produced this crocheted tea cosy and I was hooked (literally!)



Two - Loving Hands

I then decided that it would be good to make a few things for charity, looked on the internet (what would we do without it!) and found the Loving Hands website full of patterns and suggestions.  Before  I knew it, I had made hundreds of items from baby things to sailors hats to chicken jackets and pillowcase dresses. I found a group of ladies who also inspired me to have a go at crochet and with all the you-tube tutorials managed a few bits and bobs.  I helped at the Farnborough Make-It Show and then the group split up and people went their separate ways and it wasn't the same anymore. I'm still making things though.


 3.  Attic24

Spurred on by the internet and definitely hooked on crochet now, I found Lucy at Attic24 who is such an inspiration - so many exciting things to make and all so well explained.  I'm sure you all know about Lucy.



I've made quite a few blankets, mandalas, wreaths . . . you just can't stop can you!

4.  Sue Pinner

The Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace was my next inspiration, so much to see and take in.  By now I had come to love the Stylecraft Special DK with all its fabulous selection of colours.  On their stall at the show, I met Sue Pinner who is a designer with some fantastic ideas and writes books.  So now I'm having a go at some of her things. This is a photo of her work.



My latest offering!

 5. You!

You never cease to amaze me with all your ideas and creations.  I've collected a few of your blogs on my blog so that I can keep up to date with what you are up to.  I've really enjoyed seeing your projects grow. So thanks very much and thanks to Amy too as I might not have found you without her.


Have a great week.

Cheerio




46 comments:

  1. A lovely yarny Five On Friday. I just love that quirky tea cozy! It is great to hear that you have been inspired to crochet by some of iur great designers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The internet and blogging is truly inspiring for creative ideas. I have noted down your sources. Love the Sue Pinner designs. Have a great weekend. Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how people survived without it. You too. x

      Delete
  3. Very busy you..internet is fab isn't it for finding patterns? Lovely makes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed today's post which has been full of yarny loveliness! I'm also very impressed with all the things you've made, especially those crazy tea cosies. Have a good weekend.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five lovely things to have been part of and to be inspired by. The tea cosy is wonderful and the colours in all your work so cheering:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post, Karen, full of happy colours and great ideas! Thank you for sharing and have a lovely weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a crocheting newbie thank you for introducing me to five wonderful websites/bloggers that will inform and inspire me. I'm impressed with all your colourful makes and hope you continue to find the knitting and crocheting a good way to relax. I'm certainly "hooked"! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will soon be addicted, it's so much fun. You too :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh what gorgeous makes, I love that tea cozy, and yes I follow Attic24 and I've made a couple of ripple blankets and cozy cal. I absolutely love that edging on the striped blanket, I will have to investigate further. Thanks for inspiring me
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there are some clever people out there aren't there :-)

      Delete
  9. Fantastic projects. I'm visiting from Five on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how colorful all of those things are! Alas, I don't crochet or sew, but I craft here and there. I admire your talent! The tea cozy is so cute. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori, I don't seem to be able to make plain things!! :-)

      Delete
  11. Oh this is a lovely idea Karen. I love that Loving Hands project. I also follow Lucy, even though I have no talent, because her blog is always so colourful. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the colour too. You have too much to do at the moment but when you've more time you could have a go, it's great fun x

      Delete
  12. I really admire those of you who can create these lovelies with your hands! Those tea cozy's are so fun and your latest creation really looks cool. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am looking forward to learning to crochet after vacation (I've been watching some YouTube tutorials in prep) and hope I can create some pretty, and whimsical things myself. Its admirable that you are making things to give to charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it's rather addictive x

      Delete
  14. It's a joy to see all the lovely items you have created. The tea cozy is so whimsical and I love the blanket with the fun edging. You are very talented! Happy Five on Friday, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been any good at crochet. I can knit but very slowly. So your things amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just taught myself from YouTube. It's very therapeutic :-)

      Delete
  16. So beautiful craftworks and a welcome colorsplash for me at a grey day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all your projects they are lovely, it's such a pity that your LH group split up, the forum is still full of idea's and inspiration it's like a second home to me now. I love Sue's designs and Lucy's too what would we do without our yarny pursuits. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are always changing, some of the people in the group travelled a long way so it was bound to change eventually. You too x

      Delete
  18. Such great yarny inspirations!!! Your tea cosy is incredible isn't it, I have never seen one like that before, quite unique!! I love your new project, that fringey bit is great! Thank you so much for joining in the anniversary of Five On Friday, I really do appreciate it so much! Have a good weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too. It looks a bit like it was supposed to but it is definitely crazy isn't it. x

      Delete
  19. I love that tea cosy, so much fun! I regularly read Lucy at Attic 24 but hadn't heard of Sue Pinner so will pop along and take a look. Have you looked at Sandra at Cherry Heart? Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have seen Sandra's blog, she's got some great ideas too. You too x

      Delete
  20. That is the most amazing tea cozy I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super post Karen. This is right up my street. The tea cosy us totally bonkers and colour, love love love it. Am off to look more into Sue Pinner now too. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's nice to get that creative urge when you've been visiting other blogs and finding amazing creative books etc. Your tea cozy looks so wild!! Love all the colours you use in all of your pieces.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, there's so much to see and enjoy from other bloggers. :-)

      Delete
  23. I just love seeing all of these wonderful projects Karen! It makes me so envious to want to learn to crochet. I love being inspired by other blogs too. Isn't blogland such a wonderful place? ;) I'm linking with Amy very late due to being gone last week. Playing catch up anyway and loved your 5. Thanks for sharing! Blessings. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is. Go on have a go, it's great fun. Thanks Carrie. :-)

      Delete