Friday, 5 February 2016

Five on Friday - Out and About

Hello

Thanks for visiting and for all your messages. It's time to join Amy for Five on Friday. I wonder what you've all been up to this week?

Hot foot to Reading in search of Hobbycraft, I found a few things of interest before having to head home feeling quite cold from the wind. A nice bright day though.

One

Chatham Place is the place to live at the moment, never mind that it used to be a rough area full of slums and great disturbance. Nowadays, following a couple of years of redevelopment, tall luxury flats are just about nearing completion and an area has been planted which will be ready for a celebration later in the month. An historic ship will arrive and ancient cannons will be thundering as they move and spin around the audience. I am reassured that the new buildings won't be blasted to pieces only that it is a surround sound 'experience'. Some newly commissioned painted plaques will also go up on the planted area to highlight local interesting historical facts. I'll have to go back and have a look.





Two

Walking along the Kennet and Avon canal, the barges were gently smoking as their stoves were lit to keep everyone warm and cosy. The old Huntley and Palmers biscuit factory looked good but alas there was no delicious smell of biscuits cooking. Had I visited the day before, I might have seen Martha Collinson from the Great British Bake Off demonstrating her biscuit recipes in the town.





Three

A few Spring flowers were on display although Forbury Gardens was not yet up to speed. Sorry about the blurry crocuses but even blurry ones are better than none! I think someone had stood on the snowdrops too but hey ho.





Four

It's most important to test out the local cuisine, so a welcome warm break was taken at Carluccios. What a great lemon tart and a legendary hot chocolate! Haven't had one of those for ages.



Five

Back on the train, I was pleased to find the GWR Spring edition of their free magazine for the South East area, packed with ideas for days out using the train. It's such a good publication, here are a few pages for you to browse.





Hope you are all well.

Have a good week.

See you soon.

40 comments:

  1. Awww I could have met you! now wouldn't that have been something! I quite like Carluccios for breakfast as an extravagant splurge once in a while. Forbury gardens 'hosted' reading's Winterwonderland this year, not a patch in size to the London one, but it's great to see the area being used in wintertime too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did they! I missed that. Good old Carluccios, I saw him in the Twickenham cafe one day, took a photo but a waiter whooshed in and blocked him out!! Ha ha

      Delete
  2. I used to visit Reading fairly regularly but haven't been for some years now, your post has made me want to revisit. I guess it has changed quite a lot over the years so it would be fun to see how much is still familiar to me. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's quite a bit to see if you forget about the shops! x

      Delete
  3. A lovely five, I feel I was with you on your visit. I love carluccios, must go again when I am over in the UK. Have a good weekend. B X

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great five, loved the canal boats. I do wonder how warm those barges are they always look so cosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so colourful especially with the painting and plants on top. :-)

      Delete
  5. Lovely sceneries. Who didn't want to escape into spring these days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all looking forward to it aren't we! :-)

      Delete
  6. What a lovely five. The narrow boats on the canal always look warm and cosy with their smoking stove chimneys and logs on top. The treat at Carluccios would be welcome after your walk along the canal:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a treat whenever I'm near! :-)

      Delete
  7. Such a lovely five, love the canal photo and that lemon tart and choc looks yummyx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a great day out I love the barges and the lemon tart of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the weather was nice and bright! :-)

      Delete
  9. No flowers here. We're still buried in snow so I really enjoyed your pictures! I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/02/tea-time-birthdays-and-tea-parties-2516.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see spring blooms on your day out. We love taking the train too, but the British system is far better than the one we have in Canada. I'm visiting from Five on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like reading my books on the train too. :-)

      Delete
  11. The daffs and crocuses are just starting to bloom in my garden, providing much needed colour. This is the second time this week I have heard mention of the legendary Carluccios hot chocolate, I must try one the next time I am in Shrewsbury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must, it's a bit like a chocolate custard with milk on the top! Shrewsbury is wonderful, I've done a few blog posts on it! :-)

      Delete
  12. It is always good to go on these adventures with you! You are right any crocus is a good one, even a blurry one! Thank you for joining Five On Friday, happy weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always a joy to read about the fascinating site in your area. I would love to see the revitalization of Chatham Place. And the spring flowers you photographed are lovely. Have a great day! Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A day out in Reading. I wish I could have joined you, but the next best thing are your photos. Good to hear the Chatham Street area redevelopment is nearing completion. The opening ceremony sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it! I won't be able to go though pity :-)

      Delete
  15. Oh I wish we got one of those magazines, it looks fab! Such a shame to miss Martha, she was one of my favs. A agree a blurry crocus is better than no crocus, they are lovely. Sounds like a great day. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa Martha writes a few recipes for the Waitrose magazine which are always inventive. x

      Delete
  16. Wonderful things happening all around - so nice to see unloved areas being developed and brought to life and those early flowers are so nice to see. The magazine looks very handy for taking in a few interesting sights. The scent of biscuits cooking must be wonderful! xx K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make me hungry, smelling all those biscuits x

      Delete
  17. We always try to take in a canal walk when we're in England so I enjoyed your photo of the canal boats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, it's always great to walk along the canal x

      Delete
  18. Such interesting and unique things you photographed on your walk. Is the biscuit factory still in operation? Canal boats always seem so romantic to me, although I don't think I'd like to live on one permanently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biscuit factory closed down several years ago but the museum has a display of the time they used for their biscuits. I don't think I'd like to live on one either, I'd be checking for leaks all the time! :-)

      Delete
  19. Looks like a great day out, I miss being by a canal.
    Have a great week
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat a walk by the water. You too! :-)

      Delete
  20. Such beautiful and romantic photos! A truly beautiful area. And just one of those Springy cheerful uplifting kind of shares. Thanks so much. I'm late but still love catching up on 5 on fri. Blessings. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie glad you enjoyed it :-)

      Delete