Monday, 4 January 2016

The Thrill of a New Book

Hello

Thanks so much for popping in.

I've been so lucky to receive a fabulous pile of books to keep me entertained through the coming months. What a way to start the year!


The first thing I noticed about the following two books was that they felt absolutely wonderful, all soft and silky.


 The Hare with Amber Eyes was published in 2010 and is a book I've been meaning to read for ages. Written by Edmund de Waal the celebrated ceramic artist, it tells the story of his inherited netsuke collection traced through the generations of his remarkable family.


In his new book, The White Road, the same author searches to understand the thousand year history of white porcelain starting in Jingdezhen in China, travelling the world and meeting the people inspired by it.


Since reading the Accidental Tourist, I have become a fan of Anne Tyler's writing and have read quite a few of her books. I have scoured the charity shops for them but had not come across Breathing Lessons which won the Pulitzer Prize in 1989. So I was delighted to receive this for Christmas.


This is her latest book which was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize in 2015.

The next two books are completely unknown to me, it is always interesting trying new authors and discovering new favourites.



Lastly, I now have a book full of inspirations for hand made cards, a very valuable resource.


These will all give me hours of pleasure, many thanks indeed.

Hope you also have a nice pile of books to start the year or maybe a file of electronic ones.

Bye for now

11 comments:

  1. How lovely to start off 2016 with such a great haul of books. Looking forward to hearing what you think of them all. I was also lucky over Christmas to receive money to treat myself to lots of books to read on my Kindle. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely. Kindles are so convenient but I still prefer a book, no doubt I'll come round in the end. :-)

      Delete
  2. Lucky Girl! For the first time in my life I didn't receive a single book for Christmas and it feels very strange. Happy reading. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must go out and treat yourself! Go mad in a charity shop, I usually do! x

      Delete
  3. I love a pile of new or unread books and working out which one to start first. You have a lovely selection to chose from there:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it! I've decided on the Hare with Amber Eyes and am whizzing through! :-)

      Delete
  4. Lots of great books for 2016. I hope to read some Anne Tyler's this year and somewhere in a heep I have a copy of A Place Called Winter which looks good. Enjoy ! Barbara X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I haven't heard of Patrick Gale so I'm interested to read it. Thanks x

      Delete
  5. I just read a review of the spool of thread one, that said it was very good! Hope that you enjoy reading all of your lovely books! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! She is a great author, you ought to give her a try when you've finished all yours. x

      Delete
  6. Ooh, there's something very exciting about an enticing pile of books, just waiting to be read, isn't there? They look very interesting - happy reading!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete