Saturday, 23 January 2016

Moche Portrait Ceramics

Hello

How are you? Well I hope. Thanks for your recent messages, I'll write back soon!

I found myself lurking in a brand new library the other day while I was waiting for someone to finish their game of dominoes and I glanced along the shelves. A book on art caught my eye, so I dived in flicking the pages until this pot grinned back.



Turns out it was a Moche goblet. The Moche came from Peru sometime between 200BC and 800 AD.  Their potters made portrait pottery which has helped to give archeologists clues about their culture. The pots were usually buried with their owner as a prized possession. Vessels were made using moulds and it seems that there were only nine basic shapes but they were then customised as necessary giving a lot of variation.  They are slip decorated with just two colours of red on a cream background.


I was rather struck by the realistic look considering they were so old and I hadn't heard about them before.

You learn something new every day!

Cheerio

8 comments:

  1. Such characterful faces. The top one in particular looks very jolly:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must have had an alcoholic beverage inside!! :-)

      Delete
  2. You really do learn something new every day don't you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully preserved pots and interesting that although they were produced from moulds each one was decorated differently for a certain deceased person. A lot of character in those faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit like the terracotta warriors. :-)

      Delete
  4. Gosh how interesting, I love the look on the first ones face - fab! X

    ReplyDelete