Friday, 8 January 2016

Five on Friday - Reading

Hello hello

We're back for more Five on Friday mayhem, thanks Amy!

I expect you saw my title and thought not more books, but it's not reading it's Reading, a town in Berkshire!

I popped in for a gander at the exhibition, more of which another day, but found out the following things while I was there.

One - Trains

In September last year the train company First Great Western decided to 'reinstate the ideals of our founder Isambard Kingdom Brunel. And deliver a rail service for the 21st Century to Build a Greater West'.  The complete change in ethos requires the 'unbranding' of the business by changing the name from First Great Western to Great Western Railway.  On the platform today, I could see the results - well on the outside, the inside looked much the same.




Two - Year of Culture

2016 marks Reading's Year of Culture.  Here's a link showing what might be happening during the year.


Three - Reading Foundation of Art

This charity has built up a collection of 120 works of art as well as contributing to over 100 works of art held by the Museum.  Have a look at their collection.

This painting by Dominic Madden is called The Garden of Earthly Delights.  It appears to be an ink painting of the Pang valley but is painted on top of a collection of newspaper cuttings, questioning the rural idyll.


Four -  Reading Abbey

£1.77 million of Lottery funding has been successfully obtained to work on the Abbey ruins to open them to the public again.  Work starts this year and it should be ready to open in two years' time. As this part of Reading has lots of historical connections, including where Jane Austen went to school, Henry I was buried and Oscar Wilde was imprisoned, I am sure there will be many events taking place in the future.



Five 

I'm afraid I succumbed to another cheese scone in John Lewis, I'm just going to turn into one one day!  

Happy New Year to all those who haven't called in since the day.

Have a good week.

Bye

28 comments:

  1. Ooh, cheese scone, yes please! You've got me wanting one now... I never knew those facts about Reading. I'm sure there'll be lots of interesting events coming up this year, just make sure you tell us all about them! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope they advertise them well in advance! :-)

      Delete
  2. You cannot beat a yummy cheese scone, not that I am eating them at the moment as they are not good on my SW diet. Reading does have a fascinating history, I am pleased they have secured funding to work on the Abbey ruins. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've done really well with your diet and all those lovely walks. x

      Delete
  3. Sounds like there is lot going on in your neck of the woods. I could just eat a cheese scone, what a great treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So could I but that would be three in a week!! :-)

      Delete
  4. I loved reading about these historical places in Reading. When I think of the word Reading, it brings to mind the Reading Railroad on the Monopoly game! Enjoy your cheese scones and your weekend, too. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have Reading Railroad over here but Kings Cross or Fenchurch Street - stations in London. Have fun x

      Delete
  5. Always good to have a cheese scone. Sounds like Reading will be an interesting place in 2016:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we'll see what happens. :-)

      Delete
  6. How fantastic for Reading Abbey, it will be so good to visit once this has been finished. You chomp away on the scones, isn't cheese one of your five a day :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I think it's probably quite the opposite unfortunately! :-)

      Delete
  7. Lovey to see a town being brought to life in so many new and interesting ways. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. JL should employ you as a cheese scone ambassador! It will be great when the Abbey is repaired isn't it, a lovely place to visit and explore. Thank you for joining Five On Friday again this year! Happy weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, cheese scones ... bliss! I don't blame you for succumbing as they are one of my weaknesses too. We've begun to get to know Reading recently, so I read your post with interest. The abbey looks very appealing. Happy Friday!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting five, love trains so that always makes it interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading station has recently been updated, more like an airport now. :-)

      Delete
  11. your number five made me giggle, I do hope you don't! That Abbey sounds fabulous, I never knew they had one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tucked out of the way near the Gardens. You used to be able to walk through the remains but I suppose Health & Safety must have stepped in. :-)

      Delete
  12. I admit that I thought this would be about books (which I adore)! We have a "Reading" here in Pennsylvania, USA also.

    I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/01/tea-time-reading-and-crocheting-1816.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seem to be lots of Readings! :-)

      Delete
  13. There was a town named Reading in Massachusetts where I grew up - no doubt named after your original! Sounds like a lovely place to visit with many great amenities. I would love to tour the art museum. x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the sort of place where you can easily miss all the history but really it's all there if you look. x

      Delete
  14. It's good to see my home town featured in this post and I'm especially pleased that funding for work on the Abbey Ruins means that it will be open to the public again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been closed off for so many years which is such a shame so no doubt they will be putting on a few events like they used to. :-)

      Delete