Friday, 22 January 2016

Five on Friday - Memory

Hello

Welcome to the blog.

Thanks for visiting, especially those regular Followers. Up until a couple of weeks ago I couldn't see who you were as the information was obscured, but now I can! There are lots of other blogs to look at on Amy's Love Made My Home blog where she is hosting Five on Friday today. Go on, take a peek by following the link.

A lot of us are dealing with loved ones who are suffering from memory problems, at all different levels, which can be quite hard to negotiate.  It's difficult for the person suffering as all they want is to do things as they always have done but when you can't remember if you have done something, you are constantly checking and it becomes very exhausting.  I thought I'd share five things that I've found help the situation with people who are starting their memory problems.


One - Keep to a Routine

Keep things simple. Go to the same supermarket for the shopping, it's too confusing giving them too many options. They can learn the layout of the shop which will help  to remind them what they need. Keep outings to the same days of the week, giving them a structure to the week.

Two - Write Everything down

Keep a diary or calendar and reinforce what is happening each week by leaving written notes so that they can read them again and again, ticking things off when they are done.

Three - Make sure They Eat and Drink enough

Confusion gets worse if they are hungry, have a cup of tea with a biscuit for a boost.

Four - Be Patient

It can be very difficult when you are blamed for the results of their confusion. You just have to realise that it is an illness and that they are trying to cover up the memory issues or just don't realise they have caused the issue e.g. not remembering where they've put something. There's no point trying to make them realise they were at fault, it just makes it all worse. Grit your teeth, change the subject and it will blow over because they will forget.

Five - Enjoy your time together

Don't forget to make the most of the good times, they are precious moments.

Let's hope medical research progresses to help alleviate some of these difficulties eventually. Do let me know if you have any other tips.

Have a great weekend.

Cheerio

36 comments:

  1. These are very helpful tips you have shared. I forgot to tell you how lovely your CAL blanket looks from the photo you shared yesterday. It's really beautiful. Enjoy your weekend, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, it's turned out OK hasn't it! x

      Delete
  2. Both my in laws suffered from dementia before their death and your five points definitely are helpful. My mother in law did forget to eat enough and that just compounded the problem so monitoring food intake is essential . Hopefully a cure will be found soon. Have a good weekend. Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. It's all very tricky when you don't live in the same house isn't it. x

      Delete
  3. I visited my step sister in hospital on Wednesday where she is waiting to see if she can go home as she has just been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia but her main problem is the fact that she is registered deaf/blind too and at the moment has a guide dog she loves but may lose. The tips are very good ones but some would be difficult in my sister's case. Glad this condition is being highlighted more now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that Rosie, a very difficult time for all of you as you adjust to the new circumstances. Sometimes that can be the worst time as you are not sure which way to turn. Take care and hope all goes well. :-)

      Delete
  4. I think we all worry about dementia as we experience our own lapses in short-term memory and feel anxious about where it will lead, especially when we've already been through the stress of dealing with dementia suffered by loved ones. My father had multiple health problems such as Parkinson's and could not go out. It was exhausting for my mother who was more active in body and mind, but became quite frail as she cared for him. Making the most of time together is a good point that you make. I'm glad that I could be near my parents and not living abroad during those last difficult years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your mother will have valued your support during the difficult times. x

      Delete
  5. Five great tips, I have found a list on the fridge helps that needs to be ticked off as the task is completed. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen what an apt post. I'm not sure what I feel about growing older and having 'older' parents. But you are right we need to cherish the moments, seize the day and make memories whilst we can. Very sensible good tips xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice. My mother in law suffered from Alzheimer's and we experienced many times anxiety and difficult moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many decisions to make, it's not easy x

      Delete
  8. Excellent list! Very helpful post, and the photo of the leaves, I really like the way that illustrates what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such good advice, particularly about being patient.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some excellent tips there Karen, thank you for sharing. I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with this, I'm glad you are able to focus on enjoying your time together. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I think most people find themselves dealing with something like this eventually. Take care x

      Delete
  11. Very good advice! The only thing I could add is to keep a sense of humour and perspective. I am so sad though that you know all of this and are having to deal with it. I hope that things go as well as they can do. Thank you for joining Five On Friday, happy weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm better off than most fortunately. Thanks though! x

      Delete
  12. Great advice. yes, let's hope that medical advancements can help. It is an issue that is going to become more and more prevalent as our life expectancies grow and grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, fingers crossed they will find a way of dealing with it. x

      Delete
  13. Wonderful suggestions, it is not easy caring for a loved one with memory issues. Words of advice from my SIL while dealing with my MIL's issues, she said if she remembered she wouldn't ask, I always kept that in mind and answered her every time like it was the first time she asked.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, no point in pointing out the memory problems all the time. x

      Delete
  14. Your suggestions are excellent ones and although my mother has her wits about her we still go to the same supermarket on the same day every week. She knows her way around and the checkout girls know her. Everyone is happy.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your suggestions are excellent ones and although my mother has her wits about her we still go to the same supermarket on the same day every week. She knows her way around and the checkout girls know her. Everyone is happy.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Karen, I can relate to every word you wrote. Your suggestions are very good. There are moments when patience and sense of humour seem to run out, but trying to enjoy the time together makes life so much better for everybody.
    It's important to take care of ourselves too and to have moments of relax and fun.
    Enjoy your weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. Yes it can all be quite tiring. Have fun x

      Delete
  17. Great tips - especially the routine, as I can imagine that helps a lot and can be reassuring. Have a fun week :)

    ReplyDelete