Friday, 15 January 2016

Five on Friday - Household Tips

Hello

It's Friday again but I'm sure you knew that anyway! Friday means that the weekend is just round the corner, phew!

January seems a good time to think about cleaning out the cupboards and making a new start, so here are a few tips which I hope you'll find useful.

One - Cleaning Windows

I have tried to clean my windows over the years using one product after another from the supermarkets and this type of cloth or that, but they have always ended up worse than when I started!  I have discovered the wonders of newspaper. A damp piece to clean them and then a dry piece to polish. No potions just newspaper and water! Amazing!


Two - Cleaning the sooty deposits from wood burning stoves

Again using damp newspaper but dipped into the wood (not coal) ash from the fire, the windows of the stove can be turned back to transparent and a quick buff up with another dry piece gives them a polish.

Three - cleaning lime scale from stainless steel draining boards and sinks

White wine vinegar makes them sparkle, though you have to not mind the vinegary smell!



Four - Cut Flowers

I already have a vase of daffodils and have seen tulips in the shops, so this is what's recommended to keep them going strong when cut: don't put daffodils or narcissus together in the vase nor either with tulips, they just don't get on! Cut the white part of the daffodil stem off, make a straight cut and don't change the water. For tulips, prick the stem under the water line to discourage twisting, put some sugar in the water and don't change the water either. I haven't tried this but it sounds sensible!


Five - Waste, Recycling and Grow your Own

We all need to think of ways to cut down on waste as well as try and use natural products rather than get caught up in all the marketing for the latest off the counter remedy. Most people can grow some of their own vegetables too, even if it's just a tomato plant or herbs on the windowcil, they taste so much better too. I'm not a member of Friends of the Earth, but here's a link to their website with a few ideas to get us thinking.

Thanks Amy for the Five on Friday link-up.

Have a great weekend.

Bye for now.

30 comments:

  1. Great tips thank you. I will try the tulip trick because their stems always twist and elongate. Keep warm. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can really stretch, can't they. Very chilly here but no snow. :-)

      Delete
  2. Superb tips. I often use newspaper for window. A hairdresser told me about it Ms h years ago when I commented how smear free the mirrors were love the tulip water tip too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great tips! The first one I'm going to try is the one about cleaning the windows of the stove! I have used newspapers for the car windows as well.
    Have a lovely weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending how sooty they are, it works a treat though I usually get very messy!

      Delete
  4. Great tips, I am going to give the windows a clean so will try it with newspaper. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five great tips! Getting windows clean is the thing I most struggle with and like you have tried so many ways. Will give this a go - when the snow goes away:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some good tips. I've just bought a small bunch of tulips, already in water before I read your post. Now I shall add some sugar. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good tips. I saw the tip about the tulips on another blog this week but that blog suggested making the prick just at the base of the flower where the stem starts. I think in the name of science I might have to get some tulips so I can try out both tips and compare the results lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha good idea you'd better let me know how you get on. :-)

      Delete
  8. Great tips, thank you. I didn't know about the flowers, but I learned to clean windows and mirrors with hot water, vinegar and newspapers when I worked in a pub almost thirty years ago. My mother couldn't understand why they didn't just give us Windolene! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why it's taken me so long to find out about it x

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the tips I have used the newspaper one before, I will have to try the one for the flowers because they never seem to last very long. Have a great weekend.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love this sort of post, I used to always use newspaper to clean the windows, I'm not sure when or why I stopped, but I must do it again because nothing else is as good. I have literally brought daffodils in with me tonight, I must cut more off the stems. Thank you for this Karen, it's fab!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing such great tips. I recall using newspaper for window cleaning years ago. My windows need washing but I think I will wait until after the rains disappear. Enjoy your weekend, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips. I use the newspapers for the windows and fire door as well. The daffodils are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see them again isn't it. :-)

      Delete
  13. All good tips, I've used the newspaper on the windows too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey all over the world we are in post Christmas Spring cleaning mode except .... we're in summer and you're in winter! I have used the pin prick on the tulips myself to avoid the catastrophe in a vase look and can endorse. News paper is a good one I'm wishing I have a wood burning stove (not this week in our +40 degree week but generally!) to try out the newspaper dipped in soot. Who'd have thought! Great tips thanks!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not very appropriate for you though with it all being so hot where you are and with the tennis on next week, you've far more important things to do! Enjoy x

      Delete
  15. Hello, I did comment yesterday, but it isn't here, hope that it didn't get lost! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On dear, I think it must have gone the long way round, perhaps it will turn up tomorrow. Thanks anyway. x

      Delete