Sunday, 10 January 2016

Alan Caiger-Smith

Hello

I hadn't heard of Alan Caiger-Smith before my trip to Reading Museum but you can't help but be impressed by the fabulous pottery on display there.  It reminded me of William de Morgan's lustre ware.

Pots displayed with a mosaic from the Roman town of  Silchester in the background.


Yes, that is a red deer stag in the background - it's just enjoying a trip to the museum!!

painted by Jennifer McRae


He was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1930 and after studying in the UK, he founded Aldermaston Pottery in 1955, a co-operative of seven potters.  He worked primarily with tin glaze and painted pigments on red earthenware clay and the firing of lustres on tin glazes.  Many potters worked at Aldermaston Pottery over the years until it closed in 2006.

Here's a video of him removing a dish from the kiln after firing and revealing the lustre produced.



Thanks for pottering by . . .
Cheerio

6 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this artist either, but I can totally see what you mean about the similarities to DeMorgan's ware! Very similar indeed and very beautiful. I love lustre ware like this. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, hadn't heard of him either but glad I have now. Thanks, Karen. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to make sure I visit the Museum when I'm in Reading. It's one of the places in the town I like to visit and it's good you can take photos there which we can't in the gallery spaces that put on exhibitions in Sheffield Millennium Gallery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit you can't take photos of the exhibition which is really annoying! Hope you enjoy it. :-)

      Delete