Saturday, 9 January 2016

A Sense of Place

Hello

An exhibition now on at Reading Museum called A Sense of Place displays the Museum's best twentieth century landscapes alongside poetry and objects inspired by the paintings.  I particularly wanted to see the two huge tapestries by John Piper which have recently been restored.

During 2015 I made several trips to see John Piper's stained glass windows, here's a couple of links to my posts.

Piper was given the freedom of the Borough of Reading in 1984 and was a founding member of Reading Foundation for Art, a charity set up in 1974 to acquire works of art for the Reading Museum Service and to build up the Museum's collection.

Here we see Rural Reading, with fritillaries in the foreground.

This is Urban Reading, I recognise the chequered pattern from the church in the Town Centre.
The rest of the exhibition contained paintings by Paul Nash, Elizabeth Blackadder, Eric Ravilious, Dominic Madden, Duncan Grant among others.  I also enjoyed the locally produced crafts on display - stained glass, pottery, embroidery, knitting etc - each of which related to a particular painting in the exhibition.



I'm linking this post to Coastal Ripples' Paint Monthly link-up.

Bye for now.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in again this month. I love Pipers use of colour particularly in Rural Reading. I would love to see his stained glass windows. Definitely will have to make a journey that way! Have a great weekend. Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Eric Ravilious's work, I was looking at some of the designs he did for Wedgwood recently. This looks like a wonderful exhibition and one I'd enjoy seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about him but now I've looked him up, I rather like his work. :-)

      Delete