Tuesday, 15 December 2015

Wood

Hello

Dark early and chilly at this time of year, it gives us an excuse to light up the stove and then we're cosy and warm, all is well.



I had a peek at our logs - you can rest assured I didn't see anything nasty in the woodshed like they did in Cold Comfort Farm - they are all ready to pop on the fire, left over from the felling of a pine and silver birch last year.



Mind you, I am a bit behind the times as apparently this year's Christmas hit in the book department is Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way by Lars Mytting.  It's become a global phenomenon and is to be the Book of the Week on Radio 4 over Christmas.  I have only looked at the photos on Amazon but the fish-shaped stack looks interesting, certainly something different for a present. Here's an article about it.

Bye for now.

7 comments:

  1. I always think of wood gathering and chopping as a very male thing to do, they seem to enjoy it so much don't they. I wish that I had an open fire or woodburner to burn wood, if I did, I think that I would be a wood gatherer too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is here! It's a bit of a ritual isn't it, spreading warmth and good cheer. X

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to have a wood burning stove! It must be very cosy on these dark winter evenings:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's lovely but we only use it at the weekend. :-)

      Delete
  3. It is my dream to have a wood burning stove in my house. And to have my own house. What a big dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this makes me wish we had an open fire. We had one when I was little and I used to love listening to the crackling fire and the smell of wood, much better than coal. Gosh! I will look forward to listening to radio 4 when they discuss the book xx

    ReplyDelete