Friday, 18 December 2015

Five on Friday - Christmas Again!

Hello

Thanks for visiting what I think is the last Five on Friday before THE BIG DAY! I know, it's come round rather quickly!! Thanks Amy for all the Fives this year, I've really enjoyed joining in and getting to know all the lovely people out there that read your blog and now read mine, leaving such kind messages.

Keeping with the festive theme, here are my five:

One - Cards

I really look forward to receiving cards and letters from friends and relations, many of which I don't see from one year to the next. I love the so-called round robins which are so vilified - I just don't know why, as nothing pleases me more than hearing how well people are doing, seeing their photos and sharing their plans.



Two - Presents

We have a couple of presents under the tree already. I like to look at them and wonder. That's the best bit. Anticipation! Small homemade presents are wonderful.




Three - Crackers

There's nothing dafter than a Christmas cracker but we wouldn't be without them, would we. After the BANG, out pops a hat, a joke and a present. Then the toys go in the drawer and gradually increase in numbers, well they might be useful one day!



Four - Snow

Traditionally, it's snowy at Christmas but in actual fact we're more likely to have snow between January and March. A white Christmas is defined by the Met Office as one snowflake falling somewhere in the UK during the 24 hours of 25th December. It was more likely to happen in the 18th and 19th centuries. Have a look at this website to see a chart of Christmas snowfall from 1959 to the present.



Five -  New Year

We have a great many anniversaries to look forward to in the UK next year -

950th Battle of Hastings
400th William Shakespeare's Death
300th Capability Brown
350th Great Fire of London
200th Charlotte Bronte's birth
150th Beatrix Potter's birth
100th Roald Dahl's birth

That's going to keep us all busy plus there's the Rio Olympics too!


All the very best to you all for Christmas and the New Year if you aren't able to call in again.

Cheerio

29 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more with you about the round Robins and wow to the anniversaries next year, how interesting is that. I want to thank you too Karen for visiting my blog so often and leaving the kindest of comments. It's what makes it all worth while. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading all your new things in 2016. x

      Delete
  2. I am so impressed with all those anniversaries next year, I wonder what events will be planned for them? Have a great Christmas and a big thank you for visiting me, it is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully there will be something exciting for us to blog about! My pleasure :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one to keep cracker presents! Those mini tape measures often come in handy :) Have a great Christmas. Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have met so many new friends, like you, through Five on Friday. It's always a joy to read your blog because I always learn something; like the upcoming anniversaries. I do wish you wonderful weekend and a Merry Christmas. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had two lovely letters today full of news from people I don't see very often and I've really enjoyed reading them. Those little cracker presents turn up everywhere in drawers or little trinket boxes where I've put them thinking they may come in useful one day. I always enjoy visiting you here and thank you for visiting me too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to hear from you. :-)

      Delete
  6. It's a shame that fewer people are sending cards - for any occasion but like you, the ones that arrive are appreciated. The crackers used to have decent toys inside but today that quality has gone beyond saving them in a drawer - ours always go to the grands anyway. :-)
    Love the definition of what a white Christmas is and some exciting anniversaries next year!
    Merry Christmas Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your message, the toys are a bit rubbish aren't they! :-)

      Delete
  7. Great festive moments and things to look forward to! I used to save the cracker things kidding myself that I would make crackers and would use them, so instead I sent the whole bag to the charity shop where I hope that someone else will have made use of them or enjoyed them! Hope you have fun with yours! Thank you for joining Five On Friday and making it a great thing this year. I so appreciate it! Happy Christmas! See you again in 2016! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a good idea. See you soon x

      Delete
  8. Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful week, full of love and laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting list of anniversaries for 2016. Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great five Karen! & thanks so much for the list of historic celebrations in the coming year!
    Truly wishing you & yours a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved sending cards when my littles were little. Once they grew up and said no more, I got out of the habit. I should put that back on my list of things to do! Enjoy the season! Hope you holidays are happy :) ps...Love the snowman :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good way to keep in touch though the stamps can be quite expensive. Have a great Christmas. :-)

      Delete
  12. I love to give and receive cards, too - I've saved them in little bundles every year. It's fun to look back and remember people we knew and loved 'back when' and see how the styles of the cards have changed. I love drawers full of little 'treasures' like your cracker prizes. Interesting anniversaries coming up next year! Hope you and your loved ones have a lovely Christmas and New Year! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I cut up the cards received to make gift tags for the following year. Many thanks, you too :-)

      Delete
  13. I love the round robins too, there is nothing better than catching up with news. So few people send cards now and emails are just not the same. We love crackers and have them at most meals between Christmas and new year too, it's the jokes you know ha! Hey, how interesting about Camels, I was sure I rode one on the beach in Tunisia but himself informed me it was actually the Sahara Desert ha! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only messing about saying about the camels on the beach! You can't beat a good joke!! Wow , Sahara Desert sounds impressive. :-)

      Delete
  14. It's always great to receive cards in the mail. I enjoy the newsletters often sent with them. It seems that Christmas is the time of year to catch up with those we don't see very often. Loved the list of anniversaries in the UK during the next year. Very eclectic.

    ReplyDelete