Saturday, 12 December 2015

A Bigger Picture

Hello

Many thanks first of all for your lovely comments about our gingerbread houses, I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing them.

While we are all focused on Christmas trees at the moment, I thought I would turn to another type of tree and the countryside shown by David Hockney in his 2012 exhibition at the Royal Academy in London called A Bigger Picture.



I did enjoy the work exhibited, so much so I had to buy the book!  The artist spent four years producing landscapes in East Yorkshire in a variety of media. The large scale works were: a painting inspired by Claude Lorrain's Sermon on the Mount; 51 iPad drawings and a large painting describing the arrival of spring in Woldgate, East Yorkshire during 2011 and the 9 screen videos - they filmed Woldgate Woods with a frame of nine cameras attached to the bonnet of a Jeep.  The nine separate perspectives make the eye scan and the viewer can choose which aspect to look at.

Here are a few photos, but I would recommend the book if you come across it, there are so many wonderful pictures in it. Looking round the exhibition, there was so much colour and fresh air, sitting in front of the huge video screens watching as the seasons changed was just wonderful.










I'm going to link this post to Coastal Ripples new Painting Monthly link-up.

Cheerio


5 comments:

  1. Well done Karen for being the first to link up. The exhibition looks fabulous and I particularly like the page with the winter trees ( second photo down) Hopefully others will join us and make this a really interesting and worthwhile venture..have a good weekend. Barbara X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds a great idea so I thought I'd start you off and look forward to seeing what other people come up with. :-)

      Delete
  2. What an amazing artistic perspective....love that you bought the book! The artwork is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good exhibition, I'd go again and again if it was still on. :-)

      Delete
  3. We went to the exhibition - and bought the book! - and loved it. We often talk about it, it was so good! xx

    ReplyDelete