Wednesday, 18 November 2015

Midweek

Hello

Do you like listening to the radio? 

I tuned in to Radio 4 this morning just after 9 and Midweek was on.  Libby Purves was talking to a diverse selection of guests, one of which was Thomas Heatherwick, the designer behind the Olympic cauldron at the 2012 London Games amongst many many other design projects.  Here's a post I wrote about him, shortly after I started blogging. He was talking about the new London Garden Bridge that will be started next year.



Another guest was Dr. Sarah Beynon, an entomologist who has opened up a restaurant called Grub Kitchen, serving, you've guessed it, insect dishes on her menu like mealworm hummus. Needless the say she brought a few samples with her.

Michel Roux Junior was also there and bravely tucked in to some of the hummus but was really there to talk about his Kitchen Impossible TV programme where he mentors 8 out-of-work people with disabilities in the catering industry.  He also mentioned his involvement in the Growing Underground business which is 33 metres under the streets of Clapham in a disused Underground tunnel where they are producing micro greens and salad leaves under hydroponic conditions and using LED technology.

The final guest was Dorothy Saul-Pooley, Master of the Honourable Company of Air-Pilots, the first woman to head the Organisation.

I think that was 43 minutes well spent, especially as I was busily sewing at the same time!

Bye for now

4 comments:

  1. It is amazing what you can listen to and find out about on the radio isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence! I was just saying to P at the weekend that I feel I'm missing something because I've never got into listening to Radio 4. I think I'll have to begin after reading your post!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's all sorts of interesting bits and bobs. x

      Delete