Friday, 20 November 2015

Five on Friday - Henley

Hello

Glad you could join me for Five on Friday, many thanks to Amy for linking us all together again.  Do have a look at all the lovely posts, I always enjoy it.


This week I thought I'd show you a few photos of Henley.


One - Henley Royal Regatta

Henley is famous for its Regatta where over 200 international standard rowing races take place over five days in late June/early July.  It is very much part of the summer social scene like Wimbledon and Ascot. Thousands of visitors turn up each year to enjoy the fashionable event. You have to be one of the 6,500 members to be able to enter the Stewards Enclosure - there are 900 people on the waiting list, which means that it will be at least 10 years before an applicant could be eligible to be elected - and there is a dress code to be observed. The Regatta Enclosure is open to the general public though.




Two - Town

The pretty market town is located on the River Thames and is surrounded by the wooded hills of the Chilterns. It has a market square and Town Hall, many shops and a theatre.



Three - Old Firestation Art Gallery

As the name implies, the old firestation has been turned into an Art Gallery.  One exhibition I visited in 2012 called 100 Faces of Henley, featured photographs of 100 town residents, some of which were celebrities who live in the area as it's such an attractive place to live. A book was produced and sold which raised more than £9,000 for charity. I thought it was such a good idea, the photos were excellent and I think they are working on another edition at the moment.



At Christmas, Henley has a living Advent Calendar which involves a performance each day of Advent, if you look at the link you will be able to see the 2015 calendar and be able to open the doors and see the little shows once they've been performed.

Four - Greys Court

On the outskirts of Henley is this beautiful National Trust property, which has a fantastic history, here's my blog post about one of the residents, and a fabulous garden full of secret doors which lead to other gardens.  There's even a tower you can climb to survey the area.






Five - River and Rowing Museum

The Rowing Museum is actually rather good, even if you aren't that interested in rowing.  Situated in an award winning building with a cafe, the Museum has three galleries devoted to the history of rowing, the river and the history of the area.  There is a Wind in the Willows exhibit for children plus a lot of temporary art and photographic exhibitions over the year.

Wind in the Willows


From Henley Bridge

From Henley Bridge

John Piper artwork

Dressing up clothes for children to get in the Regatta mood.


It's time I went back for another visit.

Let's hope the coming week is a peaceful one.

See you soon.

22 comments:

  1. You certainly took us on a beautiful and very interesting trip. I must put it on my list of places to visit. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely lovely post about a lovely place. Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me want to visit right now- all looks lovely and I've never been to Henley before. Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do, if you are nearby especially in the spring in the sun! :-)

      Delete
  4. Your post really brought back happy memories. We used to hire a boat when I was in my teens and travel down the Thames from Bray to Oxford. I loved going along by Henley and looking at all the beautiful riverside homes. Your photos are great. Have a good weekend. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it brought back happy memories, it is lovely all the way along the Thames isn't it! :-)

      Delete
  5. Very beautiful and interesting! "A garden full of secret doors which lead to other gardens" is the most charming piece of text I have read this week. Love the photo of the flower pots.
    Thank you for sharing and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so exciting opening the doors to find out what's behind! :-)

      Delete
  6. First to say that I adore the quilt you finished and showed in your last post! It is so beautiful! Henley is a very interesting town isn't it, there always seems to be lots going on even when it isn't Regatta season. Greys Court is of course very interesting too! Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, of course it's better when the sun's out in the summer! x

      Delete
  7. I would love to go to Henley with or without the Regatta. We used to live in Milton Keynes and it is a great regret that we never got to Henley. Your pictures are lovely and Greys Court looks pretty too. I also loved the quilt you revealed in your last post. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, you can't beat a pretty town on the river. x

      Delete
  8. Lovely, seeing Henley again, I did go once as a student to the regatta - very exciting! I've never been to Greys Court, though, I think I'd enjoy a visit there. The living advent calendar sounds interesting! Have a super weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it brought back a few good memories for you. :-)

      Delete
  9. A wonderful visit to Henley, Thank you for sharing the photos! The scenery is beautiful - I especially love the faces on the bridge and the children's clothing. Hope your weekend has a bit of sunshine and joy. x K

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking me on such a lovely visit Karen! Such beauty and charm. I have to check on that advent calendar - what a cool idea! Thanks for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your view on a place we know very well. I'm looking forward to seeing the museum with our little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I did it justice, I must return for another visit! :-)

      Delete