Friday, 9 October 2015

Five on Friday - Puzzles

Hello

Here we are again!  I've found you a few puzzles this week.  I hope you are able to put your feet up over the weekend and relax with these brainteasers.  The Radio Times, the TV magazine, has a good selection each week including crosswords and an Enigma code to work out the missing letters.  The cryptic crossword includes clues like - Is allowed to live, perhaps (5) - answer maybe!

One - Countdown

Can you make the target number of 724 using these numbers: 8, 9, 4, 3, 1, 6. You can only use each number once but you don't need to use them all.
If you've enjoyed the challenge, this website gives you lots of practice together with the authentic TV Countdown sounds! The numbers game.


Two - Trackword

How many words of three letters or more can you make from this grid.  You can go up, down, sideways or diagonally but can only use each letter once in any word.  Average 30 - words.

                                         E   C   K
                                         H   A   M
                                         C   T    E

Three -Sudoku






Complete the grid so that every row, column and 3x3 box contains the digits 1 to 9.

Four - Anagrams

These are anagrams of five US state capitals.

          INLAID PIANOS

          IS A NUT

          NERVED

          COVERED PIN

          SUMO CLUB

Five - Connections

Can you find four groups of four words that link these words together.

          Phoenix           Shadowfax              Cheyenne                Trigger

          Barrel              Baton Rouge           Hallows                   Denver

          Goblet             Silver                      Muzzle                    Black Beauty

          Little Rock       Chamber                Mister Ed                Azkaban


Here's a link to the Only Connect wall if you fancy doing a few more of this type of puzzle.   

I hope you enjoy the challenge!  I'll put the answers on next week. Many thanks to Amy for providing the Five on Friday link up. I wonder what everyone's been up to this week?

Bye for now!

20 comments:

  1. Great puzzles, I will come back to them when I have more time. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for Five on Friday - I may have a go at the word type ones but show me numbers and my brain is like mush. I love only connect and can usually answer a few questions on university challenge and mastermind have just been wrestling with the crossword in the I newspaper - sometimes I can get most of the answer other times I stare at it blankly for ages:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so unique and fun what you have shared today! I'm going to share it with my friend who is a big puzzle fan. Wishing you a wonderful, fun filled weekend, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no my brain was already frazzled after a busy day at work, you lost me at sudoku ha! Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are a challenge.....I used to buy these sorts of things for my kids to do on long car rides. I don't have the focus today, but will come back and see the answers! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for letting me know about my post Karen, how very strange, I have sorted it now, thanks again xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I will come back and give the puzzles a go. I love sudoko and do them a lot! Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for these what a great idea I will try them over the weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - Great post - I will give then a try. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is quite the complex challenge...I will have to come back and try it when I have time to think! :-)

    ReplyDelete