Thursday, 1 October 2015

Conkers and Michaelmas Daisies

Hello

This time of the year reminds me of School Harvest Festivals and the lovely songs we used to sing. Here are three favourites. I hope you know the tunes, I would sing them for you but . . .!

The first one is Conkers which was always enthusiastically sung, especially the one hundred bit at the end which raised the roof.  Sometimes the anticipation was just too much for some and a ripple of one hundreds crept in a bit too early, though still sung with gusto!


Conkers!

Conkers! I’m collecting conkers,
I’m trying hard to find the biggest and the best.
Conkers! Lots of lovely conkers,
I want a conker that is better than the rest.


Under the chestnut tree,
There waits for me,
A sight so marvellous to behold.
Amidst the autumn leaves,
It gleams at me,
A conker, beautiful and bold.

Conkers . . . 

Under the chestnut tree,
Where no-one’s been,
The spiky shells lie on the ground.
Beneath their armour green,
There hides unseen,
A conker, smooth and shiny brown.

Conkers . . . 

Under the chestnut tree,
I stretch to see,
A final conker to be mine.
If I can only reach,
To pull it free,
I’ll add it to my ninety-nine! One hundred!

Conkers . . .



The next song is Michaelmas Daisies or maybe it's called Harvest Time which reminds me of moving into our present house many years ago as there were lovely purple daisies in the flower beds.

Michaelmas daisies purple in the border,
big fat leeks all standing up in order.
Whiskered barley talking to the breeze 
Low hung boughs of laden apple trees

Chugging engines ready for the reeping
Pounds of chutney labled for the keeping
Giant marrows winning every prize,
Bubbling jars of elderberry wine.

Fruits are bottled, others in the deep-freeze,
Silken poppies blushing in the cornfields.
DON'T BRING MUDDY BOOTS INTO THE HALL,
Golden Onions hanging on a wall.

It's harvest time,
Harvest time again.
Harvest time,
Give thanks for sun and rain.

A time to take
and a time to give
Harvest time, it's the time to live

At harvest time.....
Mellow, fruitful harvest time.

Finally we have Autumn Leaves, I hope you've enjoyed these lovely Autumn songs.

Autumn Days

Autumn days when the grass is jewelled
And the silk inside a chestnut shell.
Jetplanes meeting in the air to be refuelled.
All these thing I love so well

So I mustn't forget
No, I mustn't forget.
To say a great big
Thank You
I mustn't forget

Clouds that look like familar faces
And the winters moon with frosted rings.
Smell of bacon as I fasten up my laces
And the song the milkman sings

So I mustn't forget
No, I mustn't forget.
To say a great big
Thank You
I mustn't forget

Whipped-up spray that is rainbow-scattered
And a swallow curving in the sky
Shoes so comfy though they're worn out and they're battered
And the taste of apple pie.

So I mustn't forget
No, I mustn't forget
To say a great big thank you
I mustn't forget.

Scent of gardens when the rain's been falling
And a minnow darting down a stream
Picked-up engine that's been stuttering and stalling
And a win for my home team.

So I mustn't forget
No, I mustn't forget
To say a great big thank you
I mustn't forget.





Bye for now!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know any of these songs, but it was lovely to read the words! Great thoughts of autumn and the change of seasons! xx

    ReplyDelete