Saturday, 5 September 2015

Patchwork Nostalgia

Hello

Thanks for all your kind messages, it's great to hear from you. I hope you're enjoying your weekend, time to put your feet up and make something.  It's time for a crafty update!

Having finished my blanket, I still have some wool left, a lot of clashing colours, which is being turned into mandalas. I'm hoping to finish the wool soon as otherwise anything resting on the furniture will have a little mat underneath it - it could get totally out of hand.

In a fit of tidying up and rationalisation, I came across one of my old patchworks at my Mum's and decided to bring it home and join it as a backing to another patchwork currently lounging about upstairs. I'll have to make another 208 squares to make them the same size and get some wadding to go in the middle and have a go at quilting.

Here they are fresh out of the washing machine, all crumpled up! with some more dresses I've made for good causes, a couple of chicken beanbags and mandala wheels. I decided to add a touch of nostalgia to the photo and have made it look all washed out!


Looking at the squares, all sorts of memories come flooding back. Here's my school 6th form summer dress.


I made a skirt and halterneck top from that blue material which I wore to college in that really hot summer of '76 and I made a dress for my grandmother from the green squares/flower material and another from the green material above.


The skirt I made from the red flowery cotton used to have some dangly beads hanging from the belt. Each piece has a story to tell.


Here's all the bits and bobs ready to start on the extra squares. A red summer dress, a couple of Mum's aprons and some scraps I bought at last year's Alexandra Palace Knitting and Stitching Show.



It may not be quite as planned and expert as some of the quilts you see, but it means a lot to me.

Finished blanket


Thanks for dropping in.

Have fun.

Karen x

8 comments:

  1. For me, this is what patchwork is all about. It is made from memories and love, snippets of fabric that jump out at you from the past, that bring a smile to your face, or comfort. My quilts have fabric that my mum had left over from many years ago, some even from dresses she made for me as a child. They have parts of my childrens clothes and one special quilt is made from the shirts of my family including my dad which I saved when I cleared out their home. Full of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your quilts sound wonderful. Very special. :-)

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely item to make, chock full of memories. It makes me wish I'd started this crafty lark years ago! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many pieces of material that have passed us by! :-)

      Delete
  3. Lots of great projects! Love those patchwork squares and your i9dea for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'd better get started. Have fun :-)

      Delete
  4. Your quilt is lovely! I see that you have a case of mandalitis. I suffer from that sometimes and just cannot help myself making more mandalas! I can see three from where I am sitting right now, oh no, make that four, I just spotted another one! Happy crafting! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, they just seem to make themselves! Good fun though x

      Delete