Monday, 21 September 2015

Mosaic Monday Toys

Hello

Nice of you to visit!

We have spent this last few years helping to clear various dear relatives' houses following their passing. It has been a long, sad but interesting job delving into their lives through the smallest of details and it has helped us come to terms with the loss.

This last year, it's been the turn of my Mother's house to have the sort-out treatment as she prepares to move from her home of 60 years to a smaller place now that she is on her own.  Every week since January we have emptied cupboards, sifted through the memories, decided which things to keep, which to go to the charity shop and which to take to the tip. It has been a great thing to have been able to do this together, slowly, taking time to reiminisce. I have taken a lifetime's collection of spectacles to the opticians for recycling, I have posted off my ponytails to a wig making charity, we've had a jolly good prune and found new homes for everything.

Just a small selection


I have become so used to all these decisions that it has carried over into our own home. I no longer see the need for all these 'things'. So we've been in the loft clearing out. I think it is time to get rid of the pram - well my baby is 24 now and just wouldn't fit! The toys too need to find new homes to be enjoyed by others. I have had a great weekend down Memory Lane playing with everything again as we used to. I've taken a few photos and found most of the missing pieces. Off they must go.


I only hope that I don't need them now they've gone!

Have a great week Monday Mosaic friends. Don't forget to visit Judith at Lavender Cottage to see what else has happened this week.

Thanks for all the messages.

Karen x

19 comments:

  1. Hello, it is fun to go down memory lane looking at the collection of treasures we have collected over the years. Hubby and I are trying to downsize and get rid of some of our clutter. I love the photos, the mosaic is cute! Have a happy day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen you too. I don't know where all the clutter comes from!

      Delete
  2. Isn't it always the way ... you discard something and then later you need it again! I have been trying to downsize since my husband died, but it is difficult to get rid of some of the "treasures". I make good progress and then I slow down a bit! Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still you don't have to rush just wait till the time feels right. You too :-)

      Delete
  3. I cleaned out my MIL and my mother's houses and I was astounded at what I found there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit of an eye opener! I find that the older people get the less likely they are to throw something away. :-)

      Delete
  4. That's a brilliant idea to take photos of a once treasured toy before you hand it over to someone else. You still have a nice reminder of what your family played with when they were children without all the clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen I thought I should let you know that I had a lot of trouble posting a comment on your blog. I went round and round when trying via my Wordpress ID and then when I signed in to Blogger it deleted my comment again! I almost gave up. Gillian http://countrygardenuk.com/ (please delete this so it doesn't put other readers off)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree it is a good idea to take a photo before you pass the items found on. I hope you kept some of the more special items x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your messages Jo. What would we do without a camera they're so useful for so many different reasons. x

      Delete
  7. I cleared my parents house out 2 years ago when they passed away. I couldn't part with the lovely ornaments and memories I had of some of the items. So we now have 2 houses in one. Some day I get the feeling I will have to part with them - if we decide to downsize. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the trouble but at least you can enjoy them all for the time being. :-)

      Delete
  8. We did the big clean of my parents house after my father passed away and lately I've been looking at all the stuff I have stashed in our basement. Next spring I plan to get rid of everything I don't need or use - a garage sale to hopefully repurpose the things. It is hard to give some items though, isn't it?
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken a while but it's good to know the things given away will help others. Hope you get on OK. :-)

      Delete
  9. Not an easy job, but easier to do it with your Mum I imagine. I am big on sorting and organising, but I know that it is hard. I hope that your Mum enjoys her new home when the time is ready. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it'll be great to get her settled. x

      Delete
  10. It is a hard job to do isn't it and takes time as you want to sit and talk and remember certain things and certain times. I hope your Mum soon settles in her new home:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. Hopefully all will turn out OK. :-)

      Delete