Friday, 11 September 2015

Five on Friday - Surprises

Hello

Another week has gone by and here we are off on a new Five on Friday adventure, thanks Amy!

I've been to Woking this week and was pleasantly surprised by what was lurking around the town! Here are my surprises.

1. The aliens have landed in the shopping centre. This is to mark the fact that H. G. Wells wrote The War of the World's whilst living in the town. The story takes place in Woking and Horsell Common.




2. There's an aeroplane - a Hawker Hunter Mk7- hanging over The Big Apple, a laser quest and family entertainment centre. I think this is the same type of plane as the one in the recent Shoreham plane crash.


3. The children's playground in Working Park is full of animals. An exciting place for young children no doubt and just a bit different. Lots of space, skating park, lake with ducks, a great space.


Can you see the sloth? Click on the photo and zoom in a bit.

4. A huge wooden horse rearing up at the start of the footpath to Horsell Common. Pegasus was made by AD Tree Pirates including Captain Chainsaw from an oak tree damaged by a tornado.



 5. A peacock in the main shopping mall - the Peacock Centre, what else! There's all the usual shops if you feel like a browse.



That's my five but I'll be back with a few more posts about other things I found.

Looking forward to reading about your week.

Bye for now.

24 comments:

  1. I never would have guessed that there was so much sculpture in Woking! The tube from War of the Worlds is just how I would imagine it to be. Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I have missed it all before, it's seeing things with a blogging eye that does it. Have fun x

      Delete
  2. I was pleasantly surprised by the sculptures in Woking, what a delight. Loved the children's park. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The park was lovely but there were too many children enjoying it to get any other photos. You too. :-)

      Delete
  3. You have such a good eye, I've said it before, but I mean it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some magnificent pieces of sculpture, Pegasus is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos. I think my favorite is the first one; H.G. Wells. Wishing you a wonderful weekend, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo...you found some fascinating things! Hard to pick a favorite, but that Pegasus is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos of interesting finds. I love the peacock, would love one for my garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love that peacock! What a great place to live, I love it when a town celebrates it's heritage in such a positive way. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lot of lovely things there are to see and do in Woking it looks an interesting place. I think I spotted the sloth - have a happy week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could do with a spruce up in some areas though. Have fun :-)

      Delete
  10. Oh ! I love that bird-topped totem pole. At least that is what we would call it here in Canada. Very eye-catching and colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fascinating! Such fun artwork to see. I love that peacock!! Thanks for sharing such an interesting post. ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those sculptures are amazing. I love the horse. Unfortunately Woking is quite a distance from Cumbria so I don't think I will get to see them, unless we are holidaying in that area. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your message, you are in the best place :-)

      Delete